V3 : Chapter 2

Ayanokoji POV

Stranded on an uninhibited island, that's our current situation.

After we were told of the exam's existence, we were told to disembark from the ship and gather as individual classes to get our explanation from each of our homeroom teachers.

"As part of this survival exam, we have distributed 300 points to each class. You are free to use them as you wish to buy whatever you want. Meaning, if you wanted to, you could use this test as a vacation of sorts. The theme of this exam is freedom, after all." Chabashira-sensei's words sent a wave of relief through the students of our class.

"You have been provided with a manual containing the things you are able to purchase as well as all the rules of the exam. You will be given a few things for free from the start, such as two tents, matches and some other stuff."

Some of the students were skeptical at this point, thinking 'there's a catch here somewhere'. I am part of that group, as well.

Others just sighed from relief.

"Now for the special rules." Everyone's ears perked up hearing that

"Any points you have remaining after your time here will be converted into class points." Looks of disbelief were exchanged between students.

"You will also be able to earn extra points by capturing spots around the island. To capture a spot, you need a leader. You will decide who you want as your leader, and I will give you a keycard with the leader's name on it. At the end of the exam, you will have the chance to guess the other classes' leaders. Each correct guess nets you 50 points. However, guessing wrong will cost you 50 points." Chabashira-sensei's explanation is interesting so far.

I motioned to Hirata to give me the manual, as he was the one holding it.

Chabashira-sensei continued

"If your leader is guessed, you will lose 50 points, as well as all bonus points earned through guessing other leaders and capturing spots. Anyone who is feeling unwell is able to withdraw from the exam, but the class will be given a 30 point deduction. Finally, the extra points you earn are not ones that you can use for purchases."

"So, if we tough it out without spending points, we will get an extra 30.000 pp?" Ike asked in disbelief.

The others were chatting about the stuff they could be buying. Even though we recently got some extra points from the Sudou incident, we are still at a bit more than half of the initial 100k we were given.

"Sensei, I can already see some fruits from where we are standing, but can we be sure that the food found on the island is safe for consumption?" I raised my hand and asked.

Sensei seemed taken aback for a second.

"Well, we brought you here, so it's our responsibility to make sure you don't die, right?" Sensei replied in a snarky tone trying to make it sound like we shouldn't take it too seriously.

"So it is possible to get sick from the food, but not die from it?" I continued

"That's..." Sensei's voice trailed off.

Well, that's good to know

Everyone was a bit shaken up by this turn of events.

"Okay then. So before we go ahead I'd like to ask something." I ignored sensei for the moment and turned to my classmates.

"Does anyone here have experience in camping, or something similar?" I said

Back at that place, we were taught some survival skills, such as starting fires or distinguishing between poisonous plants from non-poisonous ones, but we had no experience in actual camping situations.