Chapter 7: Healing Harmonies

Last time: "No!" he yelled out, his voice desperate. "I have to save him! I have to save Yuvaan! Yuvaan!!! YUVAAN!!!!!"

----------------------------------

February 9th, 2023, 4:30 a.m. Rathore Bhavan, Jodhpur

Kabir's eyes snapped open once again, his heart hammering in his chest. He looked around the darkened room, trying to get his bearings. He could hear the gentle sound of Banni and Atharva's breathing, which reassured him. They were okay. It was just a dream.

But as he lay there in the darkness, he couldn't shake the feeling of panic that still gripped him. The image of Yuvaan's hand reaching out of the tar was burned into his mind, and he couldn't get it out. Nor could he forget the feeling of the sticky tar covering his skin, which felt like it had entered his very pores. He knew that he needed to do something to calm himself down.

He got out of bed, tiptoeing to not wake Banni and Atharva. He made his way to the bathroom, fumbling for the light switch. As soon as the light flooded the room, he stepped into the shower, turning on the water as hot as he could stand it.

As the water cascaded over him, he closed his eyes, feeling the steam and heat washing away the sticky tar that had been trapping him in his dream. He took deep breaths, focusing on each inhalation and exhalation. Inhale: one, two, three, four. Hold: one, two, three, four. Exhale: one, two, three, four.

He repeated the pattern over and over, feeling his heart rate slow down and his body start to relax. As the water ran over him, he started to think about Yuvaan's hand and the feeling of desperation that had consumed him in the dream.

"Why was he trapped in the tar?" Kabir wondered out loud. "And how can I get him out?"

He leaned his head against the cold tiles, feeling a sense of defeat wash over him. He knew that the dream was just a manifestation of his fears and traumas, but it felt so real. He could still feel the sticky tar clinging to his skin and the fear that had paralyzed him.

Kabir heard the sound of the bathroom door opening, and he tensed as Banni entered. He had been so focused on his breathing that he hadn't heard her footsteps approaching. The sound of the door opening was the only indication he had that she was there.

"Kabir, are you okay?" Banni asked, her voice gentle. Her tone was filled with concern as she took a step forward to inspect him.

Kabir turned around to face her, feeling a sense of guilt wash over him. He had been trying to hide his panic attacks from her, not wanting to worry her further. For a brief moment, he considered lying to her, but he knew that she would be able to tell.