Chapter 27: Navigating Fear

Last Time: Past Banni's expression softened, her voice filled with empathy. "I understand your intentions, Banni," she said gently, her voice laced with understanding. "But intentions alone do not absolve us of the impact our actions have on others. You must confront the truth within yourself, no matter how painful it may be. Do it Banni, do it before it is too late."

----------------------------------

February 18th, 2023, 9:30 am, Jain Counselling Centre, Jodhpur

Dr Shobha quietly observed Kabir as he sat on the couch, his usual calm demeanour tinged with a hint of nervousness. This session differed from their typical therapy sessions, as Kabir had specifically requested her presence. It piqued her curiosity.

As her gaze shifted to the clock on the wall, she couldn't help but wonder if this session was about Banni. Kabir had recently shared surprising insights about Banni's inner thoughts and fears. Perhaps he wanted to shed more light on their relationship dynamics and seek guidance on navigating through the challenges they faced.

The sound of Kabir clearing his throat brought Dr. Shobha's attention back to the present. She leaned forward slightly, giving him her full attention, waiting for him to start speaking.

"Dr. Shobha," Kabir began, his voice steady but with a touch of vulnerability, "I invited you here today because there's something important I need to discuss. It is about Banni."

Dr. Shobha observed Kabir's expression, noticing the hint of unease in his eyes. She clasped her fingers and asked with concern, "Kabir, is everything okay? Did Banni have another bout of hysteria?"

Kabir nodded; his guilt was evident in his expression. "Yes, she did," he admitted, his voice full of worry and regret. "It was a difficult moment for both of us. Banni's fears and doubts overwhelmed her, and she couldn't control her emotions."

Dr. Sandeep, who had been silently observing the conversation, spoke up. "Kabir, can you explain what happened? It's important for us to understand the situation in order to provide the best support."

Kabir took a deep breath, trying to gather his thoughts, and spoke, "When I woke up this morning..."

----------------------------------

February 18th, 2023, 5:00 am, Rathore Bhavan, Jodhpur

As the first rays of dawn began to filter through the window, Kabir slowly stirred awake. His body felt heavy, his mind foggy from a night filled with restless dreams. He instinctively reached out to touch his forehead, feeling the perspiration remnants clinging to his skin. As he became more aware of his surroundings, he noticed that Banni had climbed on top of him sometime during the night and was muttering something against his chest.

Gently, he shifted beneath the weight, trying not to disturb her. As he looked down, his heart swelled with both concern and tenderness. Her body was curled against his, her arms tightly wrapped around him as if seeking solace in his presence. Her hair was dishevelled, cascading across her face, blocking his view.

Carefully, Kabir brushed a strand of hair away from Banni's face, revealing her half asleep, with puffy eyes and tear-stained cheeks. Her mutterings, "I am right here, I am not going anywhere," reached his ears in a delirious chant.

The realisation washed over Kabir as he understood what had transpired during the night. Yuvaan had experienced a nightmare, and Banni had been there, comforting him, trying to soothe his pain. Kabir's heart ached as he looked down at her. He could see the toll that Yuvaan's trauma had taken on her, etched across her face. It was clear that Banni had been caught in the grip of her own fears, desperate to reassure both herself and Yuvaan.