Chapter 30: Stormy Memories

Last Time:  A sense of optimism filled the room as they stood there, united in their aim of healing. They knew the road ahead wouldn't be easy, but they were ready to face the challenges and confront the past, one step at a time.

-----------------------------

February 19, 2023, 12:00 pm, Jain Counselling Center, Jodhpur

"You know, Banni," Dr. Shobha started, a small smile playing on her lips, "I must say, I'm truly impressed with how Kabir approached the situation. The way he guided you towards self-reflection and self-compassion is remarkable."

Banni nodded, her eyes still reflecting a mix of emotions. "Yes, it was... unexpected," she admitted, her voice filled with gratitude and admiration for Kabir's insight.

Dr. Shobha leaned forward slightly, her gaze gentle yet probing. "Kabir's willingness to share his own experiences, to open up about his struggles, created a powerful connection with you. It allowed you to see that you were not alone in your self-criticism, but also that there was a path towards healing and self-acceptance."

"Banni," Dr. Shobha said, her expression thoughtful, "what struck you the most about Kabir's observation?"

"Yes..." Banni said vulnerably. "It was when he pointed out that my response to his failure was so different from how I usually react to my own failures," she admitted, her eyes welling up with tears. "That's when it hit me. I've been so hard on myself, so unforgiving, while being understanding and compassionate towards others. It made me question why I couldn't extend the same kindness to myself."

Dr. Shobha nodded approvingly. "Indeed, Banni. Self-compassion is often a transformative step in our healing journey. By extending the same kindness and understanding to ourselves that we offer to others, we create a space for growth and acceptance."

Banni's eyes sparkled with a newfound determination. "I want to learn how to be kinder to myself, to embrace my imperfections without judgment," she declared with conviction.

Dr Shobha smiled warmly. "That's wonderful, Banni. It's a journey that will require patience and practice, but I do not doubt you have the strength and resilience to embark on this path."

She leaned forward, her voice gentle and encouraging. "Now, Banni, I want you to start with incorporating self-affirmations into your daily routine. These affirmations will help reinforce the self-compassion and self-acceptance you're striving for. Can you repeat after me?"

Banni nodded, her eyes focused and determined. "Of course, Dr. Shobha. I'm ready."

Dr. Shobha smiled warmly and began, "First, say to yourself, 'I am capable and worthy!'"

Banni took a deep breath and repeated, "I am capable and worthy!"

Dr Shobha continued, "Next, say, 'I forgive myself for past mistakes and embrace my journey.'"

Banni's voice grew stronger as she said, "I forgive myself for past mistakes and embrace my journey.."

Dr. Shobha paused for a moment, allowing the words to sink in, before saying, "And finally, say, 'I am loved.'"

Banni closed her eyes, raising her hand to her heart. She whispered, "I am loved. I am so loved..."

"Very good, Banni. Repeat these affirmations to yourself every day, like a prayer. Let them become a reminder of your worth and your journey towards self-acceptance."

Banni opened her eyes, a newfound sense of hope shining through. "Thank you, Dr. Shobha. I will embrace these affirmations and make them a part of my daily practice."