Chapter 1 ~ The Letter

DISCLAIMER: All the characters (apart from OCs) sadly belong to JK Rowling

Rose POV:

1973

It was the day. The day I had been waiting for. Severus, my sister Lily's friend, said that I had nothing to worry about and that he knew I would defently be invited to Hogwarts, but I was still scared I wouldn't be. I mean so far Lily is the only witch in the family so it wouldn't be surprising if I was, what did Lily call them again, a muggle. Whole house seemed to hold its breath. Waiting for the answer of the question everyone was asking themselves: would I be like Lily or Petunia? Thats the thing about being the youngest, everyone always compares you to your siblings. suddenly the doorbell rang. I ran downstairs as fast as I could. When I got downstairs I saw my mum talking to someone in long robes with a tight bun and glasses. 

"Please come in Professor McGonagall." I heard my mum say as she turned around "Oh there you are Rosie, I was just about to call you to come down." She smiled at me excitedly, she know how much I wanted to go to Hogwarts. Then she lead the way to the living room. The lady sat down and peered at me through her half-moon glasses.

"Hello Rose" she said "My name is  Professor McGonagall. I visited two years ago to tell your sister, Lily, about her place in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry? I have come back this year to offer you a place at the school and answer any questions you may have." She passed me a letter with neat emerald green writing on it. I quickly read the letter, my heart hammering in my chest. This was it. I had been accepted! I felt like jumping up and giving my new teacher the biggest hug in the world, but I manged to contain my excitement to a small smile. 

"Normally I would offer to go into Diagon Alley with you and help you buy equipment but I'm sure Lily can show you around. Now unless you have any questions I should be going. See you at Hogwarts Miss Evans."  Professor McGonagall said whilst standing up. Before I could stop myself, I jumped up and hugged her.

"Thank you so much professor!" I exclaimed. She looked down at me for a minute, shocked, then smiled for the first time since I met her.

"You are welcome Miss Evans, I'm sure you will have a great time at Hogwarts and be an excellent student like your sister. See you on the 1st of September. Your train ticket is in your letter." And with that she dissapeared with a loud crack.

I sprinted up the stairs. I was going to Hogwarts! I was about to jump onto my bed and scream into a pillow with excitement when I saw Petunia. She was glareing at me. My face dropped. This is the one thing I haven't mentioned to you dear reader, Tunie. Hates. Magic.

*

As I walked into Diagon Ally my jaw dropped. It looked, well, magical! We had decided to get my school supplies that day, mainly so I could get away from Petunia. But I decided that I wasn't going to let her ruin my day. I glanced over at Lily, who was highly experienced with Petunia's mumbling of "Freak" and hatred of magic. She was smiling slightly at my astonished face. 

"You think that this is cool?" she asked me "Wait until you see Hogwarts." 

I looked around me awestrucked there were bustling witches and wizards all around us. Some looked about school age, others were adults running after small children as they explored the enchanting street. As we walked towards a magnificent white building at the end, which Lily told me was the bank, people would wave at Lily. As we passed a shop selling broom sticks, a girl and two boys around Lily's age ran out of the shop to greet her. I recognised the girl immediately as Lily's friend Marlene Mckinnon who had been around to our house a few times. She had short blonde hair, dark brown eyes and an infectious laugh. However, I had never seen the boys before. One of them had dark black, messy, short hair and glasses. The other one also had dark hair but unlike the other boy his hair was long and well kept. However, both boys were wearing a cunning smirk and had a mischievous glint in their eye. For some reason Lily didn't seem to like them.

"Hi Marlene!" Lilly said hugging her best friend.

"Where's our hello, Lily?" the boy with glasses said.

"Awww does little Jamsie poo want a hug?" the other boy mocked.

"Shut up Sirius." the other boy said playfully pushing him away.

"Hello James, Hello Sirius." Lily said sarcastically. 

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, Lily Love." the boy who I guessed was James said in a taunting tone

Then I realised why Lily seemed so annoyed. I had heard about these two. James Potter and Sirius Black. I had heard many annoyed rants about their pranks and James' crush on Lily. 

"Hi Rosie" Marlene said "I guess you got accepted into Hogwarts then"

"Yeah, we are just getting my new school equipment now" I answered.

The two boys looked over to me, having only just noticed I was there.

"Lily, how rude of you to not introduce us to Evans Jr." Sirius said.

"I'm James and the idiot over there is Sirius"

"Hey I'm not an idiot, I got a higher grade than you in potions!" 

"That's not a hard thing to do Sirius." My sister told him, "Anyway this is Rose, she is starting Hogwarts this year."

"My brother is also starting Hogwarts this year." Sirius stated.

"You should introduce them! actually on second thoughts we don't want more pranks at the school."

"You have nothing to worry about Lily Pad, Reggie is nothing like me."

Just then two more boys turned up. A tall boy with mousy brown hair and scars on his face and a short blonde boy who looked a bit like a rodent. 

"Rose Bush, this is Remus and Peter (An: GO AWAY YOU RAT!!), the other half of the marauders." Sirius explained whilst putting an arm around her shoulders. They both waved at me then Remus turned to Sirius.

"Sirius I think your brother was looking for you."  Said the tall one.

"It's fine. Mum and Dad probably just want to go." he said painting a slightly forced smile onto his face and paling slightly. A few seconds later a boy came up to Sirius, he had tidy short black hair, grey eyes and looked like a younger, more put together, version of Sirius. "Sirius, come on we have to go" Regulus said looking up to his brother. "We can go in a minute. I want to introduce you to Rose, she is my friend Lily's sister and is starting Hogwarts this year too." I waved at him and a small smile graced his worried face. 

"Sirius, we really should be going." he said looking up at his older brother.

"Okay, okay. I was just trying to make you some nice friends!" Sirius said.

"See you at the platform Rosiekins." Sirius said as he ruffled my hair.

"If you need anything, owl us." James told Sirius with a straight face and a stern tone as they left. From the look on Lily's face she was also surprised at his serious tone. As I watched the two of them walk away I was left to wonder: what could be so bad about Sirius and Regulus' parents? 

AN: Hi guys! hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Like I said before if you have any constructive feedback please leave it in the comments and I will take it on board. btw sorry if this isn't the best chapter I have just come back from a scout camp so I am very tired. Anyway, Thanks for reading and I promise you the writing will get better as the story progresses. :)