Chapter 7 ~ The Breakup

Rose POV:

"Slughorn's invited us to a start of term party." I said, reading an invitation a small first year had just given me. It was the second week back at Hogwarts and everything was perfect: I had a boyfriend, who I loved, I had gotten onto the quidditch team as a chaser, which I also loved, and I had amazing classes, which I sometimes loved. 

"Yeah about that" Eric said.

"What you haven't gotten a detention already, have you? That would be a world record, I doubt even the Marauders have done that!"

"No, I haven't gotten a detention." He replied looking around the busy corridor nervously, "Lets go in here," he said dragging me into an empty classroom "It's more private." (A/N: Omg you guys its not what you think! Get your heads out of the gutter)

"Is everything alright? Are your parents okay?" I asked concerned, remembering the stories littering the daily prophet about deaths and people going missing both of which could be traced back to Voldemort and his Death Eaters. (What was with the name Death Eaters anyway, who eats death? Surely it wouldn't taste very nice).

"No, everyone's fine he said. It's just. Just..."

"Just what?" I said soothingly. "Look at me being an amazing, comforting girlfriend!" I thought

"I think we should break up." He said quickly.

"I'm here for yo- wait WHAT?" I said. So much for being an amazing girlfriend. 

"It can't come as much of a surprise, this was just a summer fling. You did know that this was just a summer fling right?"

"HOW DID YOU EXPECT ME TO KNOW THAT?" I yelled.

"Well I mean we never talked about it so I assumed you felt that way -"

"NO I DIDN'T FEEL THAT WAY!" I yelled "I thought you loved me, I thought I was more to you than a girl you can throw away whenever you feel like it." I said tears in my eyes "You know what? I'm glad you are breaking up with me, at least I learned what you are really are, a arrogant toe rag who thinks he can pick girls up and then drop them when ever he feels like it." I mentally thanked Lily for that insult "I bet you have a new girlfriend in week. I really hope she finds out what a player you are quicker than I did, before she starts to think that she loves you." I finished. Eric looked shocked. "Go on, leave. Go and find a new girlfriend but let me warn you, I am going to warn people about you, so it might be slightly harder getting a girlfriend this time." He left and the tears that I was holding back started to run like raindrops on a window down my face. That day I didn't just loose a boyfriend, I lost my best friend. However, when one door closes another one opens, literally.

Regulus POV:

I was walking down the corridor when I heard a faint crying sound coming from an empty classroom. I opened the door, careful not to make any noise, and saw Rose Evans lent against the wall, her light auburn hair like a curtain around her tear stained face, her hazel eyes covered by her hands. I almost turned around, things were awkward enough with her already, but then I realised, this was the perfect time to show I had changed and show how I regretted the stupid mistake I had made three years ago. So I walked in. 

 "I heard crying so i came in here to see if everything's alright."

"Everything is just amazing! Now go away Black." She said sharply.

"The way you said that makes me believe then everything is not okay." I said jokingly. If she had been anyone else in the school, apart from maybe Sirius, I would of never have said that, but she made me feel like I could be myself. She made me feel an emotion, but I wasn't quite sure what it was. Was it guilt? Or loss? Or sadness? Most of all I just felt confused. 

"You are the last person I want to talk to right now Black." She spat. Then I realised what I had to do. One of the hardest things known to man, I had to apologise.

"Look, I'm really sorry for what I said to you in first year. I was out of line and not a day has gone by since when I haven't regretted it. That day I lost what could've been an amazing friendship. I'm so sorry, I know there is no excuse but I didn't want my parents to be angry, they are pretty hard core pureblood supremacists and I think I was scared. But like you said, you don't need to be a Gryffindor to be brave, so here I am, being brave." 

"Thank you Regulus, that means a lot." She said "But who said we can't still be friends? There has just happens to be a new vacancy in my list of friends anyway." She said trying to joke, but I could tell it wasn't genuine. 

"Friends?" I asked holding my hand out for her to shake.

"Friends." She replied.

"Now friend," I said sitting down on the floor next to her "What happened?" And she started to explain. 

*

"Well it sounds like you need someone to take to Slughorn's party." I said after listening to what had happened "Well your in luck because Slughorn has made sure that there is no way I can get out of this one. We can go together, as friends of course." I added quickly.

"I would love that." She said smiling. I pulled out a tissue and handed it to her to wipe her eyes. "Thank you so much, Regulus. Regulus is quite long don't you think, would you mind if I call you Reg or Reggie?" 

"I would love that." I replied smiling. 

"Oi, you stole my line!" She said in mock offence.

"You'll get over it." I said standing up. I brushed the dust of my uniform and offered her a hand to pull her up. With a jolt I realised what the mystery emotion was. It was Love.

A/N: YAY they are friends again! I should probably revise because I have two tests tomorrow that I want to do tomorrow but I can't be bothered to and writing this is better. Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter, see you next time. :)