Chapter 4

Chapter 4

If I were a dorky fourteen year old wizard with a certain disregard for the rules, where would I go? I wondered. Mikey was still missing, and Ray, Hayley, and I had been looking for him for almost an hour.

Luckily, we ran into Professor Slughorn. "Hello Professor," I said. "Have you seen Mikey anywhere?"

"I think I saw him heading into Knockturn Alley," Professor Slughorn said.

Knockturn Alley? That couldn't be good. What if he got abducted by Death Eaters or something? Still, we had to look. "We'll look there," I said. "Thank you, Professor."

"You're welcome Gerard," he said. "I look forward to having you again in Potions this year."

"Me too," I said, and it was true. Potions was one of the better classes, although I wasn't good at it. "So long and goodnight, Professor Slughorn," I said as we headed towards Knockturn Alley. I had never actually been there before, but I had heard that it was scary.

"Are you sure Mikey's back here?" Hayley asked as we approached Knockturn Alley.

"That's what Professor Slughorn said," I said. I stared down into Knockturn Alley and mumbled, "Just look at all that pain."

That's when we noticed Mikey coming out of Borgin and Burkes. "MIKEY!" I shouted, hoping to get his attention.

He spotted me and said, "Gerard! I've been looking for you for the last two hours."

"We've been looking for you too," I said.

"Don't run off like that, okay?" Ray said.

I noticed that Mikey was wearing a black T-shirt with white lettering that read "Gerard Way is a wannabe Metamorphmagus!" That was kind of true. During the school year, I did have the tendency to change my hair color frequently. Sometimes I even did it between classes.

"Where did you get that?" I asked him.

"Well, I thought it was just a plain black T-shirt, but it actually insults whoever is standing near me," Mikey said. "I got it at Borgin and Burkes."

"It's not being particularly insulting at the moment," I said. "I'm proud of my hair colors!"

The T-shirt changed so it now read "Mikey Way has four eyes!"

"Don't you dare insult my glasses!" Mikey shouted.

"I don't think the T-shirt can hear you," I said.

"Oh, it totally can," Mikey said. "I hate you, T-shirt."

"I hate you too, Mikey," the T-shirt said.

Hayley, Ray, and I all laughed. "You should be careful with that shirt," Hayley said.

"Yeah, if it's from Knockturn Alley, it was probably made with Dark Magic," Ray said. They both had a point, but the T-shirt was pretty funny. In fact, I briefly wondered where I could get one of those.

The T-shirt changed to read, "Ray Toro is a Mudblood."

"NOT FUNNY!" Ray screamed. "Go back to making fun of Mikey's glasses!"

"Congratulations Mikey," I said sarcastically. "You have purchased the world's most offensive T-shirt."

The shirt changed again, and it now said, "Hogwarts students are lame. Go to Durmstrang."

"Hey! Don't make fun of our school!" Hayley said.

"Yeah, Hogwarts is the best," Mikey added.

Ray and I just kept laughing. Mikey put on his jacket, covering up the T-shirt. "I hate this thing," Mikey grumbled.

"Oh come on," I said. "It's kind of funny sometimes."

"So what did you get in Diagon Alley?" Mikey asked us, desperate to change the subject.

"A Firebolt Supreme!" I exclaimed.

"Isn't that, like, the fastest broom ever created?" Mikey said.

"That's the one," I said.

"Cool," Mikey stated.

"I hate to tell you guys this, but it's getting super late. Most of the stores are closed," Hayley said.

Hayley was right. It was getting late. Mom and Dad would start worrying about Mikey and I if we didn't get back soon. "Mikey, you have everything you need, right?" I asked. We probably wouldn't come back to Diagon Alley until next year, so I needed to make sure that we had all of our school supplies.

Mikey checked through his bag. "Yeah, I have everything," he said. "How are we going to get home? All of the stores are closed, so we can't use the Floo Network."

"We're going to Apparate, of course," I said. "Grab my arm."

Mikey did so, and I Apparated to Way Manor. Apparation wasn't the most comfortable way to travel. In fact, it kind of felt like being squished through a tube, but it only lasted for a split-second.

Once we arrived in my bedroom, Mikey said, "I hate Apparation."

"It's faster than anything else," I argued.

Mikey looked around for a second, admiring my poster collection. Mikey and I were lucky enough to have the same music taste. Most of the time, if Mikey liked a wizard rock band, I would like them too. When we were younger, a lot of our time would be spent listening to music together. It was the one thing that we truly had in common.

Mikey took out his copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. "Gee, do you know what we're learning in Care of Magical Creatures this year?" he asked.

"The lessons kind of change from year to year," I told Mikey. "When I was a fourth year, we learned about Kneazles, Blast-Ended Skrewts, and Runespoors for the first half of the year, and the second half of the year was mostly unicorns."

"UNICORNS!" Mikey screamed. "I love unicorns!"

I rolled my eyes. "What is it with you and unicorns?" I asked.

Mikey flipped through Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. "Hagrid obviously hasn't read this book," he said.

"Of course he has," I said. "He was the one who made you buy it."

"Yeah, but he didn't read the section on Hippogriffs," Mikey said. "Hippogriffs can be tamed, but this should only be attempted by experts." Mikey flipped through the book some more. "Here it is! The unicorn is a beautiful beast found throughout the forests of Northern Europe..."

"Mikey, if you want to read up on unicorns, go do it in your own room," I said. Mikey took his books and left the room.

I just couldn't believe that I was going to start seventh year in a week. What was I even going to do after I left Hogwarts? I had no real career plans. My only passions were art and music, and neither of those made good careers, especially in the wizarding world. I'd probably end up going into something super boring, even if I did well on my N.E.W.T.s, which was unlikely.

I looked out the window and started sketching the view. Party Poison and Mikey's owl Kobra Kid were flying around outside. The whole thing only reminded me of how much I needed to get back to Hogwarts. Hogwarts was like my home away from home, and I wanted nothing more than to be there.