Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Like many people, I am a procrastinator. I usually end up finishing my homework about five minutes before it's due, I'm always late for everything, and I generally put off doing things until the very last second. However, this didn't work out so well for the Yule Ball. It was the day before the ball, and I still didn't have a date.

"I'm never going to find a date," I complained to Ray. "Everyone's already taken."

"You'll never know if you don't ask," Ray said. Ray didn't have this problem. He had asked a Ravenclaw girl named Christa a few days earlier. "Gee, you battled a Hungarian Horntail. This should be the easy part!"

At that moment, Frank entered the Gryffindor Common Room. "Hey guys," Frank said. "What's up?"

"Not much," I said. "Do you have a date for the Yule Ball yet, Frank?"

Frank nodded. "Yeah, I'm going with Jamia Nestor."

Of course Frank already had a date. Why was I even trying to ask him? I knew Jamia. She was in my Ancient Runes class and she seemed nice enough, but now I felt like she was trying to steal Frank from me, even though he was never mine in the first place. "Okay," I said. "I was just wondering. I don't have a Yule Ball date yet."

"I'm sure that you'll find someone, Gee," Frank said. "You're the Hogwarts champion. I can't think of any girls who wouldn't want to go to the Yule Ball with you."

Frank was trying to make me feel better, but it wasn't working. "Thanks Frank," I said. "I'm going to go see who I can ask." I left the common room, and ran into Hayley on the way out.

"Hey Hayley," I said.

"Hi Gee," Hayley replied. "I can't believe that it's only a few more days until the Yule Ball."

"Yeah, me neither," I said. "Actually, I was wondering if you'd like to go to the Yule Ball with me. You know, just as friends."

"I'd love to, but I already said that I was going to go with Taylor York," Hayley said.

I sighed. At this rate, I was never going to find a date for the Yule Ball. "Okay. See you later Hayley," I said.

"Bye Gerard," Hayley said.

I ran into a few other girls, but I had no luck. Miss Jackson was going with Donnie Catcher, Winona Youngblood was going with one of the boys from Durmstrang, and Tiffany Blews was going with Darren Travers.

I really was a fail at this. What would I do if I couldn't find a date? The champions and their partners were supposed to open the ball. Then again, maybe if I didn't have a partner, then I wouldn't have to dance.

"Bonjour Gerard," I heard someone say. I turned around and saw Laurette there.

"Hi Laurette," I said.

"I still don't have a partner for the Yule Ball," she complained.

"Really? Me neither," I said. "Do you want to go with me?"

"Yes, I'd love to!" Laurette exclaimed.

Now it was settled. Laurette and I would be going together, which was good enough. Laurette was nice, and she was kind of cute, but most importantly, this meant that we could both get into the Yule Ball. My Chemical Romance would play, along with all of those other bands, and everyone would have a great time. In reality though, this whole Yule Ball thing seemed to be a lot more trouble than it was worth.