Chapter 47

Chapter 47

The two weeks of exams were finally over, but I only had one more day before the Triwizard Tournament. We were relaxing in the common room when I said to Frank, "My flying is getting a little rusty, since the Quidditch season ended so early. Do you want to go practice with me?"

"Sure," Frank said.

"Can I come too?" Ray asked. "This sounds kind of fun."

"Yeah, of course," I said. "We can invite Mikey too."

The three of us got our brooms and left the common room. I found Mikey talking with Brendon in the Great Hall, and I asked him if he wanted to join us.

"I just need to get my broom," he said. Mikey raced downstairs, and Frank, Ray, and I waited for him. A few minutes later, Mikey returned with his broomstick. After I bought my Firebolt Supreme, Mikey had received my old Cleansweep Seven. Despite being ancient, it was still in good condition, and since Mikey wasn't on the Quidditch team, his broom didn't need to be the fastest one on the market.

We left the castle, and as we headed towards the Black Lake, I noticed the other students going to Hogsmeade. For a moment, I wished that I could go with them, but I knew that I needed to practice my flying. "Hey Gee, you know the Four-Point Spell, right?" Ray said.

"Actually, I don't," I said.

"It makes your wand act like a compass and point north," Ray explained. "The incantation is Point Me."

"That's really easy," I said. "Point Me." My wand turned and pointed towards Hogsmeade. "Whoa, this spell is pretty neat. Thanks for teaching it to me, Ray."

"No problem," Ray said.

"I'm bored," Frank said. "Let's fly!" He suddenly hopped onto his broomstick and flew away. Ray, Mikey, and I quickly followed him. I flew fast enough to catch up with Frank, and then circled around so I was flying towards the Astronomy Tower.

"I've really missed Quidditch," Frank said. "Being up here is just exhilarating."

"I know Frankie," I said. "I've missed it too."

"Wait for me!" Ray exclaimed. Frank and I paused for a moment to let Ray and Mikey catch up before circling around the Astronomy Tower a few times. It wouldn't be too hard to get to the Astronomy Tower using my broomstick, and my Summoning Spells were good enough that I could probably summon it during the Triwizard Tournament.

Frank began to dive down towards the Quidditch field, flying upwards at the last second to avoid crashing into one of the hedges. The hedges were fully grown now, but we couldn't see what Hagrid had placed inside the maze. I followed Frank as he soared over the Forbidden Forest.

"Hey, isn't that Hagrid's hut?" I said as I pointed at a little shack in the outskirts of the forest.

"Yeah, I think so," Frank said.

"Speaking of Hagrid, I heard that Hagrid's going to let us ride unicorns on the last day of school!" Mikey exclaimed.

"Whatever Mikey," I said.

"I can't believe that we only have another week of school left," Ray said. "I'm going to miss Hogwarts."

"Me too," I said.

"Me three," Frank said as he did a Sloth Grip Roll.

"Frank, stop showing off," I said.

"I bet I can do that," Mikey said. He attempted to repeat the move, but his broom began to rock back and forth forcefully, as if it was trying to throw him off. "HELP!" he screamed as he held onto the broomstick as tightly as he could.

"I think someone's trying to jinx Mikey's broom!" Frank shouted.

The broom was even more out of control now, and Mikey was desperately clinging on, but it would only be a matter of time before he would be forced to let go. "We have to find out who's jinxing him and break their concentration," I said. "Broom jinxes require eye contact."

Just as I said that, Mikey fell off of his broom. I dove down, hoping to catch him before he hit the ground, but I wasn't fast enough. Mikey fell directly into the Whomping Willow. Mikey screamed as the tree thrashed around violently. Frank, Ray, and I landed, but we couldn't do anything. If we went near the tree, we would be attacked too. All we could do was watch the blood spatter over the branches of the Whomping Willow.

Eventually, the screaming stopped. The Whomping Willow froze into place, and we inched towards the tree. We found Mikey lying near the Whomping Willow. He wasn't moving, and his Hogwarts robes were soaked in blood.

"MIKEY!" I shouted, but there was no response. "Mikey, can you hear me? Mikey?" I started sobbing, and Frank wrapped his arms around me.

"I-I'm so sorry, Gee," Frank said, and I saw that there were tears in his eyes too.

And that is how Mikey Way died.