Ch 12

Maisy sat on her bed, staring out the window at the trees blowing in the wind. She couldn't help but think about how much things had changed from when she was a kid. Back then, everything had seemed so simple, oh how naive to the world she was. She had a routine, a set of friends, and a clear path forward. But now, as she looked out at the world, everything seemed so much more complicated.

As a young teenager, she had been so sure of herself. She knew what she wanted and she wasn't afraid to go after it. But now, as an young adult, that certainty seemed to have evaporated. She felt lost, adrift in a sea of uncertainty.

It wasn't just her, either. Everywhere she looked, it seemed like the world was changing. People were more divided than ever, she had never remembered both sides of the islands wanting the other dead. The things that used to bring people together now seemed to push them apart. She wondered if things would ever go back to the way they were.

But as she sat there, lost in thought, Maisy realized something. Maybe things would never be the same as they were when she was a kid. Maybe the world was changing, and maybe that was okay. She knew she couldn't get help with her problems and they were most likely stuck the way they were but there was a new sense of hope in her gut she couldnt deny.

Having talked to JJ last night it was if her racing overthink thoughts had a slightly blurred path for once. The fact they wanted her back brought a sense of happiness in her. Despite this he hadnt texted her and she gave him her number not allowing her to message him. She didn't let this bother her as she hadnt made up her mind if this was a good thing or not.

This path would inevitably lead them to see the wreck she had become and she would rather keep that side of herself private. If anyone was able to wrench that out of her it was JJ and that could never happen.

She had received a message earlier in the day from Rafe about the OBX cinema screening just by the coast. She had no clue the island still kept up the tradition so at the sound of a relaxing afternoon she was down for it anytime. It brought back glimpses of her childhood where 6 year old her would wonder down with her friends every week to watch whatever random film was showing.

Remembering it all, the one clear image she had was having to drag the boys out of their homes to go see "love actually" which screened around Christmas time. Knowing it was a love rom-com none of them were interested but that didn't stop Young Maisy from getting them there. They claimed they didn't enjoy it saying it was boring and sappy but the vivid memory in her mind said otherwise.

She had packed the essentials for a film night including snacks and spare change in case she wanted to buy a drink there so it would be fresh and cold. As well in a comfy outfit she wouldn't mind lounging around in which included cargo shorts and an oversized knitted jumper she had found at a thrift shop a few years back. As well she had decided to wear the shark tooth JJ had gifted her many years ago, it was natural to grab for it as she wore it most days.

Without it she felt as though a part of her outfit was missing and if she went out without it then she would be practically naked. So with that on and her bag packed she was ready to leave. Maisy had decided to walk as the cinema was just down the street from her house. When she was younger she had no other choice than to walk and with the pace the boys walked it would sometimes reach up to an hour. That is the only pro she found with living in figure 8.

During the day leading up to leaving she had messaged Sarah a few times asking if she wanted to join as she enjoyed her company over the boys any day but she never got a message back. At first she was worried but just shrugged it off for her meeting with some of her other friends from school.

She hadnt spent too much time getting ready but seemed to leave late anyways. She grabbed for the keys by the door before beginning to make her way down the street. The sun was slowly setting casting the island in orange hues. She was excited for the film, she didn't care much for what they were watching but this would be one of the few pieces of familiarity the girl would feel since being here.