Prologue

Katherine was born in a small village in Rohan. A beautiful girl with dark blond hair, she was exactly what her parents had wished for. But the night after she was born, her mother died. Katherine's father was devastated and took up drinking and didn't take care of Katherine. Luckily, kind neighbors took her in after 4 years of abuse. From that moment on, she was kept away from her father.

One night, when Katherine was 5 years old, the alarm was raised in the village. Orcs were attacking!! Immediately the neighbors sent Katherine away with others to escape the attack. Her father was presumed dead because the village was burned to the ground.
Katherine was told this when she was 7 years old and she seemed to take it very well, but what people never knew was that she could hide her emotions inside so well, that while she seemed a happy child, she wasn't. She knew she was an orphan and that she didn't have a home.

A few years later when Katherine was about ten and living at Edoras, the King's brother, Eómund, took Katherine in and treated her as a daughter. She became dear friends with Eówyn, Eómund's daughter, who was the same age as her. The King's brother also had a son, Eómer, but he was always away, training to be a soldier, so Katherine never met him.

When the girls were twelve, the King and his brother went out with their men on an Orc raid. Few came back, and Eómund was not one of them. Eówyn and her mother were stricken with grief and her mother died.
Katherine tried to comfort Eówyn, but the King's niece's heart had turned to ice and she never spoke to anyone again, not even to Katherine.
And thus our story begins, when Katherine is sixteen and living at Edoras.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, thanks for reading!! I know this chapter probably sucks, but I vow that the next chapters will be better.
I started this book series over five years ago, so hopefully you can forgive the juvenile writings of a fifteen year old me. I promise that as the series goes on, the writing becomes more mature and interesting.

Elsa8001