I don't care

Legolas' Point of View

I walked over to the railing of the balcony and placed my hands on it, hunching my shoulders.

Gandalf, my old friend, was now gone.
I didn't know if the others would follow Aragorn instead, but I most certainly would follow the future king of Gondor.

The waterfall was making a lot of noise, so I could hardly hear anything else.

Suddenly, a pair of strong, warm arms wrapped around my waist!!

I quickly spun around and delivered my signature right hook to the person.

It was Katherine!! She dropped to the ground in complete pain, clutching the left side of her jaw and holding back tears.

I knelt to the ground next to her.
What had I done? What had SHE done? What had possessed her to want to hold me?

"Oh my goodness Katherine, are you alright? It's just a reflex, I'm sorry!!"
I blurted out hastily, not even spacing out my words like I had been taught.
I was always too impatient for speaking slowly like all the other Elves.

Katherine's eyes didn't leave my face, but I saw the disbelief in her eyes that I hadn't meant to hit her.

I grabbed her right hand and helped her up.
I was still shocked by the strange warm tingling feeling whenever we touched.

She stood defensively, still covering her jaw with her left hand.

I carefully moved closer to her and gently pulled her hand away from her jaw.
There was already a dark blue and purple bruise forming on the left side of her jaw.
I couldn't stop whispering, "I'm sorry, so sorry."
Without thinking, I slipped my hands around her waist.
They fit perfectly there.
I leaned in, and as I did, she stiffened.

I didn't stop. My cheek brushed her cheek as I hardly even touched her bruise with my lips.
I heard her sharp intake of breath and a small sigh of relief.

I stayed by her jaw for a few more seconds, breathing in the scent that was drifting from her hair.
It smelt of....flowers? She didn't seem like the flower kind of girl to me.
The smell was comforting to me and it smelt like a meadow of sunshine and wildflowers.

I pulled back to look in her eyes.
We were inches apart, it was so tempting to just lean forward to close the space between us.
I stopped.

What was I doing? My father would never approve of my liking or courting a human.

"Your eyes aren't red, they're almost black. You didn't sing yet, did you." I didn't mean it as a question, it was the truth.
It was saddening to see her usually sparkling blue-green eyes as dark as a new moon.

I looked at her closely for the first time. She wasn't perfect, but then again not many humans were. She had a rough exterior, but I sensed that if I broke through, I would finally see the real Katherine instead of the efficient killer everyone saw.
Her golden hair shone silvery-white in the blue moonlight. She looked as if she was the daughter of the moon herself. She looked perfect to me and that was all that mattered right now.

"I have an idea. Keep your eyes open." I said.

I had made up my mind.
I don't care what my father would want, I don't care what everyone else will think.
I don't care.

I leaned in again and kissed her on the lips very gently.
Her dark eyes widened in surprise, but she didn't object.

It felt like a hot branding iron had touched us where our lips were touching, but it didn't hurt.
Her lips tasted minty fresh, almost a spicy tang of flavor. I was immediately addicted to it.

Katherine responded by reaching up on her tiptoes and wrapping her arms around my neck.
She was so cute when she struggled with things.

I felt my normally harsh eyes soften into eyes that were filled with exactly what I was thinking.
It felt good to finally release all the pent-up emotions and feelings. They all went into my eyes and into the kiss.

I saw Katherine's eyes soften and turn slowly back into blue-green.
It looked as if dark clouds had cleared into a beautiful unimaginable blue-green mist. All within her eyes.
Her eyes then matched my expression.
Could it be....love? There was no doubt in her eyes.

I pulled away gently and leaned my forehead against hers.
We were both breathing hard, unused to kissing, I suppose.

I broke the silence by finally telling one of my secrets.
"I've wanted to do that for 2 years...."

It was true. The moment I had seen her, I had felt myself melt completely.

She didn't respond, she just stared back at me.
Oh no. She didn't feel the same way.

"It worked." I said about her eyes. The kiss had turned them back to normal.
I smiled a small smile.

"Wh-what did?" She stuttered as if she was nervous.

"My idea. Your eyes are blue-green again."
Her face was filled with disbelief and she detached herself from me and ran over to a fountain a few feet away.

I felt cold the instant her arms left my neck.
I felt....incomplete without her now.
I knew nothing would ever be the same again between us.

She quickly returned and put her forehead on mine again and willingly wrapped her arms around my neck again, bringing instant warmth back.

"How did you know it would work?"
She asked with her face turning innocently towards mine.

"I didn't." I said, chuckling quietly.

She smiled a gorgeous smile and lightly smacked me on the cheek playfully.
I kept laughing, but I kept my eyes on her beautiful smile and perfect white teeth.
I saw a dimple surface by the right corner of her mouth. It was adorable that such a tough person could have something so disarming as a dimple.

Her smile faded a bit and she asked, "Do you feel better now?" Referencing to my obvious sorrow awhile ago.

"Oh yes. Definitely." I smirked, leaning in for another kiss, which she returned with obvious happiness, which was an emotion I had never felt come from her before.

We talked for a little while longer and then returned to camp for some well earned rest.