"Boromir."

The Ring of Power, the whole purpose of this journey, had been lost!!

We were halfway up a mountain in about three feet of snow, all stopped and staring at Frodo. We knew it wasn't his fault, but we were all thinking it.

We began fanning out to look for a tiny glint of gold amongst the white snow.

Aragorn and I were searching together, close by where Frodo had stopped rolling, when Aragorn looked up and straightened, his face suddenly hardened into stone.

Boromir had found the Ring and now held it up to his face, holding it by the chain that was used as a necklace.

He had a strange confused look on his face as he studied the Ring with such intensity that he forgot we were there, a few feet away from him.

Aragorn spoke in a voice that was laced with alarm and dread.
"Boromir."

Boromir spoke as if in a trance.
"It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing." Then he reached out with his other hand to touch the Ring.

My eyes widened in alarm. I somehow knew that if Boromir touched the Ring, all would be lost and he might turn on us all.

My left hand went to the sword hanging in its sheath on my right hip. I was prepared for a battle even though I didn't want one to happen.

The rest of the Fellowship were too far ahead to offer any help, so we were on our own.

Aragorn spoke again, this time with more authority.
"Boromir!! Give the Ring to Frodo."

Boromir snapped out of it and looked at Aragorn with a look that suggested hatred.

My eyes immediately noticed Aragorn's hand move to his own sword just in case Boromir got out of control.

Boromir slowly walked over to Frodo, extending the Ring on its chain towards Frodo.
The moment it was in reach, Frodo snatched the Ring from him and put the Ring away from sight.

Boromir only smiled and said, "As you wish. I care not." He reached out and tussled Frodo's hair as if he were a child, and then turned and trudged on towards the rest of the Fellowship.

Frodo followed Boromir at a distance, but Aragorn looked back at me where I was standing a few feet back.

He nodded at me, silently thanking me for understanding the severity of that moment and being ready.

We both let go of our swords and followed the others on up the mountain.