The Ride

My golden hair whipped back as Asfaloth accelerated to an amazing pace.

Frodo moaned from his place in front of the saddle and rocked back and forth. I guarded him between my arms to keep him from falling.

The trees flew by as the sun rose in front of me. I could hardly see, but I knew I could trust Asfaloth to know the way back to Rivendell.

All of a sudden, I heard a shrieking. The same shrieking as the night before. Nazgul. I disregarded Aragorn's advice and glanced behind me. 8 Ring-Wraiths were right on top of me!!

I swerved and dodged, zig-zagging, jumping over obstacles in the way, trying to shake them, but they were as clever horsemen as I was. Geez, had they grown up riding horses like me?

Just before the river, I broke through the trees into a long meadow that led to the river. The Wraiths were beside me now, reaching out for Frodo. I pleaded with Asfaloth to run faster and somehow he did.

We reached the riverbank and hurriedly crossed the shallow river and paused on the opposite edge. The Nàzgûl had stopped on the other bank, as if they were afraid of the water.

The leader hissed. "Give up the Halfling!" The words emanating from the dark nothingness of his black hood confirmed the fact that I wasn't going to give Frodo to them.

I drew my sword, and in a moment of bravery, I yelled, "If you want him, come and claim him!!" knowing that they wouldn't dare cross the river.

They did.