Chapter 8: Sports Festival, Obstacle Race

Another week passes in a blur of classes, homework, and training as many hours as possible. It's a tricky balance for Ryumi, pushing herself as hard as possible while still having the energy to fly back home in the evenings. But at last, the big day is here.

The stadium and surrounding events area full of food stalls and souvenir shops is even more impressive in person. The public parts of the venue are seemingly wall to wall people in every direction you look. The clamor of excited fans and the shouting of vendors is penetrated only by the booming echo of Present Mic announcing the opening ceremonies, sponsors, and program schedule for the day.

It's a little quieter (though the dull roar of the audience and Present Mic are still audible) and definitely more spacious in the athletes-only sections of the stadium, but the prep room for class 1-A is still a flurry of activity. Folks are variously sitting around talking strategy, looking at phones, grabbing last minute snacks or drinks, or just trying to focus and get themselves hyped up.

Ryumi is in the second camp, sitting on the edge of a table next to Kaminari and poking out a last-minute message to Ryukyu on her phone.

I know you're probably busy, but I hope you can at least catch a recording, auntie.

I will, dear. Good luck out there.

She smiles and tucks her phone away, looking over her shoulder at the others.

Ashido stands by the lockers, tugging at the edge of her gym shirt and pouting. "Aw man... I was totally hoping I could wear my costume."

Ojiro finishes stretching his shoulders and shrugs. "They're not allowed, in the interest of fairness. At least everyone'll be in uniforms." He gently pushes the door to his locker shut and flicks his tail.

At a table not too far from the lockers, Sato is sitting and talking with Tokoyami and Shoji. "I wonder what they have in store for us in the first round."

"No matter what they've prepared, we must persevere." Tokoyami responds, arms folded, and for once actually sitting in a chair rather than on a table.

Shoji nods to the other two. "Right."

At that moment the door slams open, and Iida frantically barges in. "Is everyone good and ready?! Get your game faces on, the event's going to begin soon!"

Midoriya lays a hand on his chest and takes a deep breath to try and calm his nerves.

"Midoriya." Todoroki strolls casually across the room, left hand in his pocket, though his expression is serious.

He jumps at hearing his name and frightfully looks up at the other boy. "Uh, hey Todoroki... What's up?"

Bakugo, Ryumi, Ochaco, Yaoyorozu, Kaminari, and a few others take notice, looking over at the pair from their own conversations.

"Huh?" Ochaco blinks, confused.

"Objectively speaking... I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you. More capable." Todoroki continues, gaze fixed on the shorter boy.

Interesting... Where's this going? Ryumi glances curiously at Kaminari, who shoots back a similar look.

Midoriya stares back at Todoroki, seeming confused and a little worried by the sudden proclamation. "Huh? Sure... uh-- um, yeah." He lowers his head and nods, looking at his feet.

"All Might's got his eye on you, doesn't he. He's helping you out." It seems like it should be a question, but he states it like fact, startling the green haired boy back into nervously meeting his eyes. "Now I'm not here to pry into why that is, about what's going on between you two, but... know that I will beat you."