Chapter Five: Choices

It had been two days since Kincaid secured his fated pair and he had not seen him since that first day. His servants sent him daily reports on his pair's health, but only to tell him when a wave has started or subsided.

Kincaid ordered the servants to refrain from giving him the details. He did not want to be distracted by such frivolous matters. He had more important things to worry about. Like the impending annihilation of the entire Naerian race along with many others.

He was running out of time.

Kincaid was going through the latest reports on his desk when a knock interrupted his concentration.

"Enter," he called out without looking up.

"General," a voice greeted.

Kincaid looked up and saw Pelryn standing there with his golden hair neatly brushing his broad shoulders and his morá shimmered forest green with unease.

"What is it, Pelryn?" Kincaid asked, concern furrowed his brow.

He glanced warily at the Guards posted at the door. Kincaid noticed the look and dismissed them. They left without a word, closing the large wooden doors behind them.

Pelryn let out a relieved sigh before stepping deeper into the office and taking the seat before Kincaid's large desk.

Kincaid waited patiently for the Councilor to begin speaking.

Pelryn cleared his throat.

"I'm coming to you not as a Councilor, but as a friend."

Kincaid raised a brow and straightened in his chair.

It was true that they had grown up together, been friends since they were fledglings. But once they grew older, their duties pointed them in different paths. It had been awhile since their friendship had been spoken of. To bring it up now after all this time brought Kincaid to alert.

"Speak, my friend. What ails you?" Kincaid said with a softness in his voice few had the privilege of hearing.

"I know this is none of my concern and when it comes to fated pairs I have no right to interject but...I have heard him," Pelryn said quietly. A flash of sadness glittered in his golden eyes.

"Who?" Kincaid asked.

"Your pair. He screams--"

"They all scream while in Rut. This you know," Kincaid cut him off with a dismissive shake of his head and wave of his hand.

"No, friend. It is not the same. The ones I hear are those of madness." His tone was sharp and eyes were blazing. "They do not teach us this when we are fledglings. Even more so now with our breeders coming from a race that most of our kind see as...lesser. But if you do not do something about his Rut, your pair will die in the most excruciating way possible."

Kincaid sighed. He knew Pelryn was more...sympathetic than others of their kind, but he should know better than to push those same sentiments on others.

He spoke in dramatics.

"Listen friend, redrya are weak. Even more so after the effects of the Gemma Crystals. Their minds and bodies are easily corrupted. Being without his pair, unbonded, will drive him insane. If they do not receive the release they seek they will find it elsewhere."

Kincaid glared. "He cannot seek another. He is chained."

Pelryn shook his head, expression grave.

"That is not the release I speak of."

Kincaid stared at him for a while, eyes narrowing before widening in shock.

"He would not," Kincaid whispered.