Chapter Twelve: The Laying

Kincaid's moments of embarrassment were few and far between, usually the cool and collected one in any setting. Humiliation wracked through him as his aura exploded out of him, knocking every Naerian and redrya in the room to their knees, including his brother...the King. All except one.

Reid's head was down, veil covering his face from view, a statue amongst the wreckage. It did not go unnoticed.

Such hatred...Kincaid had not known the redrya capable. It was as awing as it was infuriating.

Talons were drawn as the Guard came rushing to aid the King while threatening Kincaid with retribution for such disrespect.

The quiet whispers of shock and indignation burned in Kincaid's ears as he fought to keep his expression neutral. To release his aura so violently, to bring the King to his knees did not only expose his power or rather Bodric's weakness, but it was a challenge. One that Kincaid did not want to make. Especially not so publicly.

He had spent so many years trying to convince Bodric he had no interest in his throne and in one single moment, all of that work was wasted. He couldn't admit it was his redyra that caused the release, that would only destabilize the structures in society if they knew a human had that much power. It would also reveal a weakness in him, show them that he was a liability. Not something they could afford, especially with the redrya Rebellion getting bolder by the day.

Bodric stood, golden eyes narrowed to slits, posture stiff as he looked down his nose at them. The room grew tense with silence.

Against every instinct, Kincaid dropped to one knee, head bowed in submission.

"My deepest apologies, Your Majesty. It seems I am still sensitive to the new mating. My instincts guide me when in the presence of a powerful male," Kincaid said softly...carefully. It was a risk to go that route, drawing attention to the fact that Reid had not yet been bred, but the acknowledgment of power, no matter how false the claim was, held the King's attention more than anything else in that moment.

Thankfully the redrya had enough sense to bow when Kincaid had, keeping his head lower than his Master's.

Bodric's eyes narrowed for a few more heartbeats before a smile spread across his face. A booming laugh echoed in the chamber.

"A strong bond indeed! I've no doubt a hearty clutch will blossom from it," the King boasted. Two beats of silence followed before laughs and cheers rose up throughout the room. The Guards relaxed their offensive stances, melting back into the background where they were originally posted. "Rise, brother, let us celebrate," Bodric said cheerfully, though the jovial tone did not match the steel in his gaze.

He was not happy and Kincaid was going to suffer for it.

*

Reid rose only a few moments after Kincaid did, with the King slinging an arm around the bigger male's shoulders. Good thing too, his knees were starting to cramp. Not only would it embarrass Kincaid further, but it would draw unnecessary attention to him.

Normally he wouldn't care about Kincaid's reputation or feelings, but there was a simmering anger flowing through the bond. One that promised punishment. Reid was not a fool and knew he would suffer the consequences.

How could he know the male was going to respond that way? And the...power...it was unimaginable. Something they had not considered in the Rebellion. They had focused all their attention on the King. Perhaps though, it was misguided. Kincaid's aura was...massive. Reid could find no other words to describe the sheer intensity of it. How he had knocked every single Naerian and human to their knees, as if gravity was commanded by him alone.