Chapter One: The World As We Know It

Hello hello, here is the first chapter of this story. I hope you enjoy it, don't forget to tell me what you think!

If you haven't already read the Disclaimer, please do! It will help you understand things in this world.

And without further ado, enjoy!

XOXO,

Rina

Chapter One: The World As We Know It

It was two o'clock and the afternoon sun was relentless. Everyone moved just a bit slower than normal, the heat making them sluggish and more irritable. It had been one of the hottest summers in the past ten years and most didn't quite know how to handle such extreme weather.

Reid wished he could be at home basking in the cool air from his half-broken air conditioner–the only thing good about his crappy home–but his boss had called him in to take an extra shift since someone else called out. Reid needed the money and couldn't refuse the offer, no matter how badly he wanted to.

That's how he ended up here, standing at the entrance of the Bowie terminal, taking tickets from each person that wanted to board. It was a simple job and didn't pay much, but that was all he could get. As the years went by, it was steadily becoming harder and harder for his kind to find jobs. Most have accepted their fates and lived off the wealth of their bonded pair.

Reid's lip curled in disgust at the thought of them. Those creatures, the Naerians, took humanoid forms and forced his kind into submission.

Reydra.

That's what they called him and the other natural inhabitants of the planet Earth. Reydra meant something lower, something owned. They were objects with no say or will like a porcelain doll on the shelf to be dusted and displayed. They had one purpose and one purpose only.

Time and time again, it had been shoved down their throats that as reydra, they would be claimed. Their purpose? To breed more and more of those disgusting beasts until there was nothing left of the human race.

They put laws in place to keep humans separated. Breeding facilities were developed to keep them plentiful but contained. One by one the calling would come and their Naerian owner would claim them, using pretty words like "bond mates."

Reid would not succumb to such a fate, he'd rather die. It sickened him to see people, like those in the Naerian-Redyra Coalition, fighting to unite humans with the aliens. They even used that goddamned name for humans, acquiescent in their degradation. They were such cowards, ignorant cowards.

And then there were the Nirks.

It was difficult for Reid to determine which was worse. Humans who accepted their fate as redrya or Nirks...who willingly underwent transfusions to mix their DNA with the Naerians. They were half breeds, and the only subspecies that the Naerians bothered to acknowledge with some modicum of respect. Most of the upper class in the Old World had transformed. Politicians. Celebrities. Business tycoons. They were all sellouts.

But in the past couple of years, there has been a rise in operations. The procedure was made cheaper and some couldn't pass up the opportunity to rise up in status. Reid didn't blame them entirely. It was the closest they could get to having their lives back.

Reid understood the need for self-preservation after it became abundantly clear that there was no way to combat the Naerians, whose technology and strengths were way beyond them. He may have only been five years old when The Change happened, but he still remembered the freedom they once had. He remembered the tenacity and fiery will that had kept humans strong and on top for the majority of their existence.