Chapter Ten: Hopeless Secrets

Reid supposed he should have been grateful for the changes, surely it was what they were expecting. But the disappointment and audacity fed into the anger that had settled deep within his gut.

Freedom?

He had been foolish to think so. There was no freedom for him, only the crumbs of normalcy, likely done to placate him. Tame him. He would not fall so easily and the fact that they assumed so was incredibly insulting.

And so was the goddamn chain that was fastened around his ankle once again.

Sure, it was longer now, so he had full reign of the room and could finally reach the entirety of the bathroom and he was able to wear clothes now, but to tease him with a taste of freedom was cruel. Then again, he should expect no less from a filthy Dragon.

Sighing, he laid back in the mass of pillows, annoyed by the false sense of hope. It was a step forward, he could not deny that. The small comforts would have to get him by as he devised a plan. Showing gratitude would be tough when he could so easily be found out if the bond went both ways as he suspected it did. Hard to lie with actual emotions. He had to keep the sliver of hope alive, just enough that the Naerian would be compelled to give him more liberties.

Maybe. Who knew with their kind? Maybe this was the extent of his kindness. Who is to say that the little satisfaction Reid had would be enough to wash the Naerian's hands of his obligation to him?

It was a tricky game to play with too many options on how to proceed. He wished he had a little more insight. He was going on with practically zero information. All of his assumptions were baseless. He'd have to play it safe at first, lie as little as possible, before testing the theory with small white lies. See if the Dragon picks up on it, any reaction would be the confirmation Reid needed.

The door opened in one of the farther rooms he still was unable to reach, just beyond the doors of this room he was confined to. As the steps grew closer, Reid noticed it was more than one set. Three?

On high alert, his head perked up from the pillows, a hand inconspicuously tucked beneath the cushion that hid his stash of knives.

The Naerian had never brought anyone else before. Maybe it was that other Dragon, the female one?

Reid's fingers tightened around the smooth hilt of a knife as he waited in tense silence, staring at the door with laser focus.

When the doors opened, Reid remained seated, watching his Naerian stroll in with a confident stride and liquid grace that didn't seem practiced. He was in full armor, with black plates, gold detailing, and silver fastens. Despite all the metal that clung to his massive yet clearly muscular frame, he did not make a sound. Each movement betrayed the blossoms of iridescent colors signifying the use of Gemma Crystals. Something in the compound likely absorbed the sound...unless that was simply the skill of the Naerian. Reid couldn't tell.

Behind him was another Naerian, equally tall, but more willowly. Instead of armor, this one wore what appeared to be a ceremonial robe? All white fabrics down to his ankles, cinched at the waist with thin gold belt of chain. His hair was long and golden. Not blonde like a human, but actually gold. It matched his eerie reptilian eyes and the pulsating swirling marks along his right cheek, dropping down his neck and disappearing into the neckline of his robe.

Despite his nature, there was a softness to him that immediately put Reid on alert, suspicion clenching firmer in his gut. Was this another tactic? Get one to show him kindness so that he would bend willingly?

No, that didn't sound like the Naerian's style.

When the golden haired Naerian smiled at him, Reid's eyes narrowed. He watched the pair, until he noticed movement behind them. There was someone else there, lingering behind the golden-haired Dragon.