Chapter Two: The End is Here

Reid never left the house without a plan. If he didn't need to be out, he wouldn't be. He didn't want to risk the chance of running into any Naerians. It was a futile attempt at delaying being claimed. He knew that when it happened, it wouldn't matter if he was hiding in his house or not, his information and blood were already in the Naerian database. They'd find him no matter what. But the extra precautions made him feel just a tiny bit safer.

He took inventory of the house, writing down a list of things that he and his mom needed. Some fresh fruits and veggies, maybe even some meat if it was on sale. He added toilet paper and toothpaste to the list when he checked the bathroom and his mother's favorite shampoo. He was surprised they were even still making it.

Reid checked his mother's prescription bottle and noticed she only had a few pills left. He added that to the list as well. With her medicine being so expensive, he wouldn't be able to get anything else.

He glanced at his ratty old slippers and sighed. He'd get a replacement another time.

"I'm going out, mom! I'll be back in a bit!" He called out to her, but she didn't reply. She was staring out the window, looking out at the city in the distance. It was still pretty early in the morning, but the sun was shining brightly behind the tall buildings as if it were midday. He could see the appeal of the view. He just wished he knew what was going on inside that head of hers.

Reid slipped on his boots and checked his vylink twice to make sure he had enough kefé. He patted his back pocket and felt for the small black box he slipped inside. It was always a good idea to carry suppressants around. The Rut could sometimes sneak up on a person.

Once he was sure he had everything with him, he headed out the door, making sure to lock it securely behind him. Burglaries were still an issue, even in this neighborhood. He didn't want his mother to be a victim of it.

Though the sun was out and blazing, the air still had that early morning chill. Goosebumps raised on his arms underneath the thin fabric of his shirt. Black, like he normally wore. It helped him blend in. All he wanted was to blend in, become invisible, and live his life Naerian-free.

He brushed his fingers against his collar. He remembered when he first got it, it was uncomfortable and left his skin irritated. But as time passed, he grew used to the feeling of the metal digging into his neck. It had become a part of him. Protected him during the worst of times, and it made him feel just a little bit safer as he stepped into the city streets.

Reid didn't spot any Naerians initially and that calmed his nerves a bit. Not many people were out and about yet. Stores were just beginning to unlock their doors and start up their projections. He liked being out when the world was just waking up. When he was shopping, he never had to wait in lines or maneuver around crowds all searching for the same things he was. He always got the first pick of the freshest fruits and vegetables and the best deals.

He headed to the pharmacy where he usually picked up his mother's medicine. He didn't want to accidentally buy too many groceries and end up not having enough for her medicine. It was a bit deeper into the city than he was comfortable with, but he stuck to the inner streets, traveling through alleyways when possible.

The more he traveled inward, the more people he saw. The capital never slept and it was infested with Dragons. That was the one place Reid swore he would never visit. It was rumored that humans didn't last the night without being forced into breeding or bonding. Though an exaggeration, Reid knew there was some truth to it. It only made sense with how many of the Naerians lived there. It was their central hub. And it was where their King resided.