Chapter Six: Fear is the Enemy

Reid woke some time in the late afternoon. He blinked at the bright sunlight, sitting up. His body ached and as the sheets slid down his frame, he was suddenly aware of the stickiness that clung to his body.

Reid didn't notice the door open or the strange Naerian female dressed in thinly plated silver armor that covered her body like a second skin. Sleek dark red hair fell to her chin in a bob. Her eyes were an intense green, one that couldn't possibly be mistaken for human. But surprisingly enough, her features were full of soft lines and elegant curves. Nothing like the other Naerian females who were full of long and sharp edges. They were beautiful but harsh. Like a rose full of thorns.

This one just looked like a rose.

Oh how deceiving looks could be.

She strode to the edge of the room and gazed at him. Her movements were silent and precise. It was only when she reached the edge of the bed, did Reid notice her. He jumped up, yanking the covers over him and scrambling as far away as he could. His big brown eyes were wide with unease.

The Naerian tilted her head with a sort of curiosity. Her morá curled around her neck, blooming a light shimmering blue.

Reid wondered what that meant. He knew enough about Naerians to recognize their morá marks that changed color depending on their thoughts or mood. He just didn't know what each color meant.

He also knew that Naerians that were in fated pairs were very territorial. They did not like other Naerians around their pair. It was why the servants that came were always so quick to leave. They did their task and scurried out as if some horrible monster were chasing them away.

But this female stayed there, studying him, with no plans on leaving.

Why was she here?

Would she hurt him?

Reid trembled slightly, and fought very hard not to show it. But her reptilian eyes tracked the movement.

"You fear me," she stated in a thick accent that sounded just like his captor's.

Reid didn't answer.

Of course he feared her. She was a Dragon for goodness sakes!

She studied him for a few moments longer before turning on her heel and exiting the room. Reid let out a breath of relief, not sparing a moment to ponder the strangeness of her visit. What could she possibly have wanted?

Reid slipped his legs over the edge of the bed and planted his soles on the cool marble floors. Shivers shot up his spine but he ignored it. He lifted his foot slightly, wincing at the delicate clang of his chain hitting the floor.

The chain was just long enough for him to reach the private bathroom to the right of the bed. When Reid finally braved the pain long enough to stagger into the bathroom, he took one look at himself in the large mirror behind the sink.

He winced at his reflection, taking note of the self-inflicted scratches, red rimmed eyes with purplish bruises underneath, and the obvious weight loss from all the vomiting and lack of appetite. Feeling more depressed, he turned away from the mirror and headed to the toilet to relieve himself. His chain couldn't reach the shower so he had to settle for grabbing a cloth and washing himself from the sink.

The whole time his body was tense and alert, waiting for the door of the bedroom to open, ready to be caught and forced.

Why didn't the Naerian try to breed him? Wasn't that the whole reason for him being brought there? His entire purpose? Though a small voice reminded Reid that the Naerian couldn't even if he tried. Not with his sheath bound.