Chapter Seventeen: Change in Every Sense

He didn't see him at first. Still blinking past the blurriness and disorientation, fighting not to cry out at the aches and pains from the wounds that littered his body.

One of his eyes refused to budge more than a crack, swollen near shut. But through the haze of the other, he finally realized the figure sitting in the chair across the room from him.

The familiar shape made every muscle in Reid's body tense. Frozen solid in fear, there was nothing he could do. Watching as the male watched him.

Move. He begged his body, but it would not listen. Whether it was the trauma response or the aftermath of his injuries, or even a combination of the two, Reid didn't know.

His heart beat so fast it stuttered. His chest squeezing in pain. The blood rushing in his ears began to drown out everything.

No.

You will not fear this creature. You will bring him ruin.

Reid willed himself to take deep breaths, to fight the urge to run, to hide, to let this male do what he wanted. To cower in the vision of what had occurred between them. The violation of his body. The violation of his will and cause.

No, he used that imagery to fuel the burning in his core. Invigorate the fight he still had left in him.

He was not beaten yet.

"You have been asleep three days, redrya," Kincaid said, standing and approaching the bed. He did not come any closer than the edge of the pillows and for that Reid was grateful. He didn't want the fucking Dragon anywhere near him.

He glared back at him, a mean snarl on his lips, not uttering a word.

Kincaid folded his arms across his chest. A challenge.

"You will tell me of your involvement with the Rebellion."

Reid remained silent, a defiant glint in his eye.

Kincaid's eye twitched.

"Speak now human or I will lose my patience."

They would not get a word out of him. Now that he knows how bad it can get, there is nothing they could do, not even killing him, to make him talk. Besides, the sight of the male had thwarted his ability to do anything but scream.

Monster.

He could still feel the phantom hands, the sensation of his sheath tearing, the stabbing spikes of his cock Locking inside him. The too hot rush of cum as he choked on his own blood.

Kincaid stared for a few moments longer, before his eyes narrowed, slitted pupils turning into tiny slivers.

"It matters not, your efforts are in vain. You will not leave this bed. And when I have use of you, you will spread your legs and welcome my knot. You will bear me a clutch and when you have done your duty, I will dispose of you."

Reid bared his teeth in a snarl.

"Do you understand, redrya? I own you. No one will come to aid you. None of your kind will ever pose a threat to us, because you are weak. Weak enough to be conquered in two of your human months. And after twenty rotations, you have not won a single battle. Understand now, your fight is useless. You exist to be bred. Be grateful for the honor."

Reid roared, yanking against the chains, charging forward though he knew he could not harm the male.

He was right in that they have not made progress in their battle against them, but he was wrong about his kind. Humans weren't weak. They were resilient fuckers. The fight will never end, not until every last one of them were dead, because when one goes down, another picks up where they left off.

They knew nothing about the planet they invaded or the natural inhabitants.

Reid was one of many.

"If we are so weak, why do you care?" Reid hissed through clenched teeth. "Why does it matter if I'm part of the Rebellion?"

The human's face twisted into a sneer, mocking the male, simmering rage in his eyes. "If we truly weren't a threat, you wouldn't care. You know, no matter what we will come for you. You will never know rest. And everyone has a weakness. Everyone."

Kincaid was in his face in mere seconds, morá flashing a brilliant red and his fangs descended. Glimmering, iridescent scales blossomed on the height of his cheeks while smoke drifted from his nostrils.

His talons dug into Reid's neck, drawing blood as he strangled him. But it was not long enough for Reid to miss the oxygen in his lungs because the moment the Naerian touched him, something in him snapped. Like a damn burst from his skin, the whole world exploded in color.

Kincaid slammed into the wall, plaster and debris crumbling to the ground in dust and chunks from the weight of the collision. He leaned over and coughed, a bit of blood splashing the marbled floors. Slowly, like his body ached, he staggered to his hands and knees, black attire covered in plaster.

The Naerian stared at the redrya with wide incredulous eyes.

Reid's breath was ragged as he stared back. His body vibrated with some untapped energy.

What was that?

What happened?

"What...did you do?" The Naerian demanded, voice hoarse.

Him?

Reid didn't do anything! That couldn't possibly have been him. And yet, there he was, sitting amongst a cloud of Gemma Crystal particles, chest heaving from an exertion he couldn't even begin to explain. His hands and arms were consumed by the inky black splotches of the galaxy. The neon colors gyrating amongst the shimmers of the Gemma Crystal dust.

And there Kincaid was. Thrown against his will and bleeding.

Reid had made him bleed.

As the two stared at each other, there was an inexplicable change in the trajectory of their future.

Kincaid...he had something to be wary about. And Reid...he had the opportunity he had been waiting for.