Chapter Twenty: Dare to Hope

For the past week Reid had seen more of Nayavu than he did Kincaid. It surprised him. He thought after what had transpired between them, he'd have been threatened and tortured for answers. Or at least dissected since it seemed no other human had manifested this ability before.

Maybe he should have thought more of it, had been concerned, questioned things. Instead, he found himself completely taken by the innocent hatchling who made it a point to visit Reid as often as he could.

It was stange to think their was alien blood running through his veins. Despite his otherworldly appearance, he had a kindness and compassion that was uniquely human. It endeared him to Reid rather quickly.

Getting lessons on controlling Gemma was a plus too. While they hadn't made a lot of progress, it was still better than nothing. Reid knew enough now that he could summon those strange markings along his body at will. Getting it to release from his skin was a whole other story.

When Nayavu explained how his own power worked, using the most childish and rudimentary explanations, it actually served as a better explanation than anyone else could have come up with.

"Your body makes it and you release it...like crying or farts!" Nayavu had exclaimed cheerily. Reid had cracked his first genuine smile then. Soon after he even found himself mustering up a chuckle.

How could someone so foreign evoke such joy and lightheartedness? Had this been the key all along? Untainted adolescence?

Despite being nineteen, Nayavu was more like a twelve year old by human standards. He knew much more than human society would allow a twelve year old, but the way he interpreted and perceived the information remained from that lens. It was refreshing.

It made Reid dare to do something crazy...like hope.

He had always put all his trust and hope in what he knew...humanity. It had never occurred to him that the humanity lived on in the hybrid hatchlings.

Would it be enough?

Would it tip the scale in the humans' favor?

Could he get enough humans on board to create with the species that ensnared them all for the fighting chance?

His mind wandered back to the brutality of the Laying, bile churning in his gut.

No.

He would never wish that upon anyone. Twelve would have to do.

And maybe...maybe there were more out there like him. More humans that could do the things he could.

Did they have to meet their pair in order for it to be triggered? Reid's didn't start until that first Rut after he encountered Kincaid. Who knows if he would have eventually figured it out.

"Naya?" It was the nickname Reid had come up with for him. The hatchling practically purred every time he used it. Sometimes even quite literally.

Right now, the hatchling lay curled up on the bed, partially on Reid's lap while he stroked his hair gently. The hatchling loved the attention, the affection, like he was starved of it. It broke a part of Reid inside. The part that knew all too well what it was like to be abandoned. To want someone to take care of him.

"Hm?" the boy hummed sleepily, eyes barely opening.

"Were you able to do as I asked?"

"I–"

The door opened suddenly, nearly falling off the hinges with the ferocity. In a blink Nayavu was gone. Reid only hoped the raging Naerian didn't notice the cloud of Gemma dust in the air before it faded.

Kincaid wore black armor. While it was normally shiny, clean, and polished to perfection, this time it was dirty and smudged. Splatters of what looked like blood painted his chest where it wasn't completely black.

Reid shimmied back, not getting far with the shackle on his ankle. Fear had consumed him, just slightly tampering the rage.

Whose blood was that?

Human?

Had the Rebellion struck?

Kincaid stumbled, leaning against the wall for support. His head tilted back showing the smudges and scrapes on his face. His eyes were clenched shut in what looked like pain, but the strange bright red in his morá said otherwise.

Reid watched him like a hawk, tracing every shift of muscle, every breath, every inch of him.

Kincaid slammed the door behind him. The force of it making Reid jump. When those bright gold eyes landed on Reid, the human felt the blood in his veins freeze. Kincaid's gaze was intense, full of emotion, but none that Reid ever had the hope of deciphering. He seemed wild, untamed...

He swayed where he stood.

Reid frowned.

Was he drunk?

Reid couldn't even begin to unpack that before the male started removing the layers of his armor. Each piece landing on the ground with a loud clunk.

Panic filtered through the confusion as Reid watched him undress.

He wouldn't...right? Not again.

Reid tugged at his chain with desperate force that proved pointless time and time again each attempt at trying to escape them.

He wasn't going to go through it again, not like this. He refused damn it!

The shackle around his ankle chaffed, the skin growing red and chapped as little tears began to bloom with blood at the force.

Standing at the foot of the bed, bare chested with only his under armor pants hanging low on his hips, Kincaid watched Reid struggle.

"You won't fucking touch me!" Reid snarled, glaring at the Dragon while yanking at the chain holding him hostage.

Kincaid blinked at him, not seeming to have heard him. Then in one fluid movement...he shifted.

A/N: Someone mentioned before that Kincaid was an alcoholic...I didn't realize it, but it's kinda true. I don't blame him though, he has a lot of impossible pressure put on him. 

Anyways, Merry Tree Day to those who celebrate!