Chapter 1

Nova's feet pound against the treadmill, her face and afro glistening with sweat as she breathes quietly. On the television, a news report shows a woman rushing into her home, shielding her face from the flashing cameras of reporters. The headline reads, "Journalist Eve Clapper Released by Hades Legion After Company Paid Ransom."

Wearing her paramedic uniform, Nova stands in a long line, her head bowed. She moves forward in sync with the other paramedics. At the front of the line, a black orb embedded in the wall scans each worker, blinking green and chiming as it approves them for duty.

"You are fit to work!" the orb exclaims.

As the paramedics pass, they each drop an envelope into a ballot box marked 'vote.' All except Nova. When her turn arrives, the orb scans her and emits a harsh sound, blinking red.

"I'm sorry," the orb says sadly. "Based on your chemical readings, you are not emotionally fit to work. Please try again in ten minutes."

Giggles ripple through the line of paramedics behind her. Frustrated, Nova stomps away and purchases a vaping pen from a nearby vending machine. Inhaling deeply, she closes her eyes and tries to find her center.

The orb scans Nova again as she stands expressionless. This time, it chimes and blinks green.

"You are fit to work!"

Torin, also dressed as a paramedic, approaches her.

"Are you alright?" he asks, concern in his voice.

Nova meets his hazel gaze and smiles.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

Torin hesitates before nodding, and they head out together.

Nova pilots the hovering ambulance, with Torin in the passenger seat. Ahead, a line of police in riot gear faces a crowd of angry protesters.

"We should join them sometime," Torin suggests. "Help them bring some change to the city."

"I don't have time to protest," Nova replies. "I've got to make money."

"But it could make a difference," Torin insists.

The ambulance turns at the intersection, avoiding the police and protesters. A gunshot rings out, and a crowd gathers near a store. Nova activates the ambulance's sirens.

"This is how we make a difference," she says with determination.

As they disembark and weave through the throng, Torin calls out,

"Paramedics coming through!"

In the center of the crowd lies a man, blood seeping from his chest as he struggles to breathe. Bystanders film the scene. Nova scans him quickly, and the device turns red. The screen displays the man's name, Marco, along with his face and the words: "SUBSCRIPTION ENDED 12 HOURS AGO".

Torin approaches with a stretcher, and Nova stows the scanner on her belt before rushing to Marco's side. She examines the bullet hole in his back.

"Did you scan him?" Torin asks.

"Yeah, he's good to go," Nova lies.

They lift him onto the stretcher, and Marco gasps,

"I can't breathe. Am I going to die?"

"Just stay with me, Marco," Nova urges, locking eyes with him.

A cop car descends from above, and two officers saunter into the crowd.

"First the protesters, now this," one of them grumbles. "It's too early in the morning."

"Could be worse," the other smirks. "We could be this guy."