Chapter 6

The lavish ballroom is filled with the enticing aroma of exquisite cuisine and the soft murmur of conversation. Gleaming chandeliers cast opulent light on the baby angel sculptures that pour water into an elegant pool. Holographic displays project dazzling scenes on the walls, adding to the grandeur of the event. People dressed in luxurious ball gowns and sharp tuxedos, mingle and chat.

Seraphine and Davion sit at a table with a diverse array of guests. Each person's expressions and laughter revealing glimpses into their lives. Seraphine and Davion indulge in gourmet dishes like lobster, shrimp, and sip fine wine, served by robotic waiters that glide effortlessly around the room.

Richard Taft, a charismatic man with a stylish mustache and a gold pinky ring, dominates the conversation. He sits next to a curious gentleman, who listens intently.

"You're handling the current events remarkably well, especially with your hands full of those protestors," the man remarks.

"They'll get what's coming to them. They want to protest over water; let's see them do it without electricity," Taft retorts confidently, puffing his chest.

Seraphine clenches her jaw, and Davion senses her growing discomfort.

"Are you serious?" the gentleman asks, eyebrows raised in disbelief.

"Peasants need to know their place. Store profits are plummeting due to the protests," Taft says, lighting his cigar with a futuristic lighter.

Seraphine exchanges a glance with Davion, her eyes filled with determination.

"Have you considered a different approach?" Seraphine inquires, her tone serious.

The laughter dies down, and everyone falls silent, their eyes shifting between Seraphine and Taft.

"To what?" Taft responds, his eyebrows raised in surprise.

"The protestors. Perhaps you should negotiate with them and reach a compromise," she suggests, her gaze unwavering.

Davion buries his face in his palms.

Taft scoffs, "What am I, a politician? I don't need their approval."

"But you need their money. The least you could do is show them you value their voice and listen."

The table watches the exchange, their reactions varying from shock to curiosity.

Taft leans in, eyes locked on Seraphine, "It's all about money. It costs money to filter the water, to pump it through those pipes and into their homes. The more you pay, the better the service. I have to make a profit."

The air grows thick with tension as Seraphine holds Taft's gaze, unyielding.

Nessa, sensing the need to diffuse the situation, asks, "So, Seraphine, how was Last Valkyrie for you?"

Seraphine and Davion exchange a glance, her hand finding his under the table.

"It was the third-best time of my life, right after marrying him," she says, her voice soft but filled with warmth.

The table fills with appreciative coos as Seraphine leans in to kiss Davion, the tension melting away for now.

**

Nova sits on the curb in a quiet residential neighborhood, her shoulders slumped in defeat as a tow truck hauls her car away. The night air is chilly, and the scent of damp earth lingers after a recent rain. Torin pulls up in his car, its headlights casting long shadows on the pavement. Nova trudges toward the vehicle, her head down and heavy with disappointment. She slides into the passenger seat, and as the car pulls away, she gazes at the stars above. A single tear escapes, gliding down her cheek like a fallen star.