Chapter 21

An eerie sight sprawls before a little girl: a mosaic of lifeless bodies bathed in their own blood, scattered across the dimly lit corridor. A cadre of dead scientists, garbed in once-pristine white lab coats, now stained crimson, conveys a morbid sense of containment.

The young girl cowers among them, her body shaking like an autumn leaf caught in a gust of wind. A chilling spectacle unfolds as the lifeless eyes of the bodies flicker open, their frosty gazes piercing into her. She recoils, her trembling intensifying.

"Save us, Nova!" a voice pleads from the lifeless chorus.

Their words sync into a petrifying symphony, all demanding the same salvation. Their desperation sends a chill down Nova's spine, amplifying the dread that had already filled her heart.

Nova's eyes flutter open. She finds herself far from the gruesome tableau, nestled at the tranquil shoreline away from the mansion. The boundless ocean extends before her, its soothing waves countering the erratic rhythm of her heavy breath. An unidentified silhouette captures her attention.

"Nova," Siren's voice breaks through the tranquility.

Whirling around, Nova finds Siren holding something in her hand which, despite the emotional tumult, compels Nova's jaw to slacken in surprise. It's a unicorn necklace, identical to Seraphine's cherished keepsake.

"How?" Nova stammers, taken aback.

"It washed up," Siren reveals with a sense of detached calmness, perhaps to mask an undercurrent of intrigue.

The necklace exchanges hands, its familiarity warming Nova's grip.

"But why not give it to Fable? It's hers." Nova's voice quivers with curiosity.

"It would mean so much more coming from her friend," Siren suggests, her tone hinting at a deeper, concealed plan.

Siren's words elicit a soft smile from Nova. Siren begins to stride away, leaving Nova alone with her thoughts.

"Siren," Nova calls out, halting her in her tracks. "Thank you."

Siren responds with another nod before continuing her journey, leaving Nova to contemplate the expansive ocean before her, the echo of the waves merging with her own introspections. With each resolute step Siren took, her hand subconsciously clenched and unclenched at her side, as if grappling with an inner storm inside her.

Torin stands outside Nova's quaint, weathered shed, his knuckles rapping softly against the wooden door. The door creaks open to reveal Gaia, her eyes wide with surprise. His gaze is glued to the ground, a self-imposed shield against the world.

"Gaia," he starts, his voice barely audible over the chirping crickets. "It's over." His words hang heavy in the cool evening air. "I was wrong... wrong to think I could find a way to save Nova. There's no point in fighting against someone's wishes."

Gaia remains silent, the weight of Torin's revelation sinking in. As he starts to walk away, his shoulders slump, a picture of defeat. Gaia watches him, her mind racing, before her lips part.

"Torin, wait!" she calls out, her voice a mixture of urgency and hope. She hurries towards him, her resolve firming. "I don't know know if there is something Nova isn't telling us, but your intentions are good. You care for her, as do I."

A spark of life returns to Torin's eyes as he turns to face Gaia.

"We should continue our efforts," she insists.

"But I've got nothing, Gaia," Torin replies, exhaustion creeping into his voice. "I've tried... but I can't find any answers."

Gaia pauses, her mind whirring as she pieces together a potential lifeline.

Nova's Bladeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें