Chapter Twenty

Note:
A long overdue update. I'm so sorry if ever mang may naghihintay pa sa updates nito. Will be updating weekly now, I promise!

—Peb

-

"I'm sorry." She heard him say.

Her eyes slightly widened before she shook her head. "There's nothing to be sorry about," she assured him. Ang totoo nga niyan ay pakiramdam niya ay siya ang dapat na humingi ng tawad. Hindi niya alam if tama ba ang pagkatataong nandoon siya o hindi. It really felt like she was stepping on some sort of a boundary.

Nasa labas na sila ng bahay. Malawak ang lupaing nasa unahan nito. Maraming mga  puno malapit sa hardin na itinayo at tanaw na tanaw mula roon kung paano kulayan ng papalubog na araw ang kalangitan. She had been very busy with her career that being there reminded her of the part of her life that she almost forgot to live.

For once, life did not feel rushed.

However, there was still that undeniable sadness that lingered in the air. Being there reminded Vannessa that every moment of her life, even when she kept on denying some, was important. Every second that she spent trying to figure things out was just as important as the seconds that she spent celebrating the good times.

After all, no one really knew what the future might bring. Malay niya kung bukas buhay pa siya o kung bukas, nasa tabi pa niya ang mga taong minamahal niya. Being there reminded her that she should cherish every second that she was given. It was foolish to spend it on people and things that would only hinder her growth.

Nilingon niya si Jax na nakaupo sa tabi niya, kalahating metro ang pagitan nilang dalawa. Malayo ang tingin nito pero nang napansin nitong nakatingin siya ay kaagad din siya nitong tiningnan pabalik. Instead of looking away, Vannessa continued staring at him. There were a lot of emotions that she could see in his eyes that she was almost certain even someone who didn't know would know that he wasn't okay.

He flashed her a genuine smile. "Gusto mo bang matulog? Your eyes look tired," sabi nito.

She opened her mouth to speak, hesitated for a second, but gathered every courage that she had to finally speak up. "I'm sorry for acting such a child," she started before looking away, still feeling Jax's stare prickling against her skin. "Dinamay pa kita sa problema kong wala ka namang dapat kinalaman. I shouldn't have allowed my emotions get the better of me. I'm sorry. I genuinely am."

His eyes were staring gently at her, and she saw how his countenance softened after he heard what she said. Hindi niya tuloy maiwasang makaramdam ng kahihiyan dahil doon. Hindi niya alam if tama lang ba 'yong mga sinabi niya o hindi.

He raised his hand, probably to pat her head, but stopped midways. "It's alright. I understand where you're coming from," he replied. "Tsaka hindi ka pa nag-so-sorry, napatawad na kita. I'm sorry if I worried you, and made you feel guilty. I should've at least sent a message kaso nawala na rin sa isip ko dahil sa mga nangyayari—"

"Shh," she cut him off. "It's okay. I understand now."

They both smiled at each other, and right at that moment, Vannessa's heart felt warm. She could see clearly what kind of a person Jax was. She was really just clouded by her prejudice towards men that she kept on denying that he was a good person. Her friends were right. Hindi porket nag-cclubbing ito at madalas pilyo sa mga babae ay katulad na ito ng mga lalaking ayaw niya. She judged too early.