Chapter Eighteen

Greg took a moment to breathe after knowing everything.

Sinabi niya rito ang lahat ng nangyari noong naging abala ito sa trabaho. Kahit na kinakabahan siya ay alam niyang mas makabubuting masabi niya sa kaibigan ang lahat ng dinadala.

Greg was one of the very few people she trusted so dearly

"I have something to confess," he said softly before letting out a sigh.

Vannessa immediately sat properly before looking intently at him, waiting for him to say something. "I actually think that I knew that the guy in the photograph wasn't Jackson but Jax," he said. She immediately grasped the sides of the chair after, but she didn't dare say anything and just let him finish. "They have an uncanny resemblance, kahit noong high school pa. Hindi kita masisisi kung akala mo siya na. The first time I saw the photograph, I also thought it was him, but when I was able to see him in person again that night, I was sure already."

"Noong high school?" she asked, squinting her eyes. "So you do remember him? And what about you seeing him again?"

Tiningnan siya ni Greg nang ilang segundo bago ito tumalikod para buksan ang ref. "Yes, hindi mo ba naaalala? I'm pretty sure you were able to see him around that time. And they look very very similar. If it weren't for the glasses, I think I'd even have a hard time pointing out who's who."

Vannessa chewed on her lips, thinking, trying to squeeze out the last drop of memory she could possibly have of Jax on high school. But she really could not picture him out in the same school uniform. She couldn't picture out the younger image of him.

She felt bad that she couldn't remember him. She could see the uncanny resemblance. If she would have seen him before, when she was still dating Jackson, then she was certain she would not forget about him.

Why couldn't she remember him?

She felt terribly bad because of that.

Napabuntunghininga siya bago muling napatingin kay Greg na kinuha ang lalagyan ng tubig.

"And what about you seeing him again? When did you see him again, Gregoryo? Last night?" she asked.

She was expecting for him to answer her question immediately, but when he didn't answer for a whole minute and just continued serving the meal that he cooked for her, she knew that there was something she didn't know about.

Napalunok siya habang nakatitig dito, ramdam na ramdam niya ang malakas na pagkabog ng kanyang dibdib na waring gustong kumawala sa kanyang katawan.

Hindi na niya inulit pa ang tanong. Knowing Greg, she knew that he heard her question perfectly. He was just taking time to answer. That happened whenever there was something he was keeping from her.

She didn't know why that made her even more nervous. There was an intense want to know what it was all about, but there was also an intense feeling of avoidance. They were conflicting, fighting hard in her mind.

Pagkatapos nitong mailagay ang mainit na sabaw sa harapan niya ay umupo ito sa kanyang tapat bago nagbuntunghininga. "I wanted to avoid this as much as I can kasi ayaw kong maalala mo 'yong nangyari. Don't want you to relive that same night again," aniya. Vannessa remained staring and silent as she waited for him to continue. Giving up, Greg sighed again. "Naalala mo 'yong pumunta kayo ng Zambales ni Santi at may putanginang nambastos sa 'yo—?"

She immediately felt shivers running down her spine upon hearing that. Kaagad siyang nag-iwas ng tingin para itago sa kaibigan ang ekspresyon sa kanyang mukha habang inaalala niya ang nangyari noong gabing 'yon.

She remembered that memory as cold and dark. She almost couldn't remember how beautiful the star-speckled night sky at that time. Only the chilliness of the night accompanied by a strange and fearsome warmth from the unwanted guy. That single moment tainted the supposed-to-be beautiful memory that she wanted to have in that place.