Chapter Fifteen

Jax could still remember the moment when he knew he was head over heels for Vannessa Ingrid Concepcion.

He was a year older than her, and the moment he first saw her around was when he was in the second year. She was a freshman back then, but a lot of people had already known her.

Naalala niyang unang linggo pa nga lang ng klase ay pinag-uusapan na ito ng mga kaklase niyang lalaki. She had been utterly popular back then since she was also an active member of the school band. Who wouldn't like someone like her? She was pretty and talented. The boys were chasing her round and round.

Ngunit hindi iyon ang rason kung bakit nagustuhan ni Jax si Vannessa.

That memory was still fresh, as if it happened yesterday. He doubted that she remembered it at all, but never did he forget about that.

At the age of 14, Jax was thinner and shorter than the guys his age. Although he hadn't experienced bullying, he certainly didn't stand out. That was the reason why he thought that he never had his chance.

Malakas ang ulan noong hapong iyon, walang awat, at habang nakasilong si Jax ay nakatanaw siya sa makulimlim na langit, nagdadasal na sana'y tumigil na ang ulan nang makauwi na siya.

Malayo pa ang sakayan ng jeep sa kung saan siya noong pagkakataong iyon at halos wala nang mga taong lumalabas ng paaralan dahil nauna na ang mga itong umuwi.

He thought that that day would be filled with tragedy. That day was the first time he received a punch that immediately bruised his arm. He aimed for the arm just so Jax could feel the pain of it, but could also hide it in order to avoid trouble. The guy was smart. He knew how to work with emotions, and Jax remembered trembling with fear, his heart hammering against his chest as he listened to his warnings. He had never felt as scared as he was at that moment.

That was the day that he thought about the place where he really stood. It was the day Jackson drew lines on the sand.

And also the day Vannessa Concepcion first laid her eyes on him.

Ilang segundo silang nagkatitigang dalawa nang tumigil ito sa harap niya. Nang pinutol nito ang tingin at tiningnan ang kamay niyang may pasang kanyang hawak-hawak ay napatitig muli ito nang ilang segundo.

When she looked back at him, she smiled. Jax was taken aback. "Are you waiting for the rain to stop, kuya?" she asked, and Jax could only nod as he looked back at her. "I don't think it is stopping anytime sooner."

Iniabot nito ang dala-dala nitong payong nang may ngiti sa mukha. "Here, use my umbrella. Don't worry, my sundo is near naman. I can run." Hindi na siya hinintay pa nitong magsalita. Nang naiabot na nito ang payong ay kaagad itong tumakbo sa ilalim ng ulan.

Sa tuwing naiisip niya ang pagkakataong iyon ay labis na panghihinayang ang kanyang nararamdaman. If only he didn't freeze on the spot, he could have told her to share the umbrella so she wouldn't get wet.

After that day, he made several attempts to return the umbrella, but his cowardice always got the better of him. He ended up keeping the umbrella that was now sitting on the top of his wardrobe at home.

He never really expected that she'd remember him, but when he finally confirmed that she really didn't, there was a slight pang in his chest. He had confirmed the depth of his insignificance in her life.

Ngunit hindi niya mapigilang makaramdam ng labis na tuwa nang malamang naaalala pa nito ang pagpapahiyang ginawa niya sa sarili noong araw. Graduating student siya sa pagkakataong iyon at dahil magkokolehiyo na lang din naman siya'y hindi na niya tinanggihan ang naging utos ng mga kasama niya.