Chapter 3

Fractured Bonds

Context: Izuku Midoriya feels like a burden when Katsuki Bakugou is taking care of him after noticing how Izuku was not doing well mentally and physically. Bakugou invites him to his squad, taking him away from Izuku's squad. While Bakugou is trying his best to help him be better, burden is all what Izuku feels while spending time with him.

*******

The halls of U.A. Academy was buzzing with activity as students prepared for another intense day of training. MIdoriya Izuku, usually brimming with enthusiasm, felt his spirit wane under the weight of his own struggles. Physically and mentally exhausted, he had become a shadow of his former self.

Bakugou Katusuki, ever perceptive, noticed the change in Deku. He couldn't stand idly by as his childhood friend suffered in silence. Determined to help, he approached him one afternoon, his voice laced with concern.

"Hey, Deku. I've noticed you've been off lately. What's going on?" Bakugou's tone was gruff, but there was genuine worry etched in his eyes.

The green bush boy shifted uncomfortably, his gaze fixed on the ground. "I... I don't know, Kacchan. Everything feels so overwhelming, and I can't seem to catch up. I'm just dragging everyone down."

Bakugou's expression softened, a rare display of empathy. "You think you're dragging us down? Deku, you're an idiot. We're a team, and we support each other. If you're struggling, then it's my damn responsibility to help you."

Despite Bakugou's reassurances, Midoriya couldn't shake the lingering sense of burden that plagued his mind. He felt like a puzzle piece that didn't fit, a weight on everyone's shoulders. And that feeling only intensified when Bakugou made a surprising offer.

"Deku, I want you to join my squad," Bakugou stated firmly, his voice tinged with determination. "I'll help you get back on track. We'll train together, and I'll make sure you become the hero you're meant to be."

Midoriya's heart skipped a beat at the invitation. He knew Bakugou's intentions were pure, driven by a desire to help him. Yet, a part of him couldn't help but feel like he was being cast aside, traded for someone stronger, someone less of a burden.

Hesitation gripped Midoriya as he looked into Bakugou's eyes. "Kacchan, I appreciate your offer, but... I don't want to be a burden to you. I don't want to hold you back from achieving your own goals."

Bakugou's face contorted with frustration, his voice laced with raw emotion. "Damn it, Deku! Can't you see? I'm doing this because I care about you, not out of some obligation! You're not a burden to me. You're my friend, and I want to help you. But I can't do that if you keep pushing me away."

Tears welled up in Midoiya's eyes as he wrestled with his conflicting emotions. He desperately wanted to believe Bakugou's words, to trust in their bond. Yet, the fear of becoming a weight on Bakugou's shoulders gnawed at him, threatening to tear them apart.

Days turned into weeks, and Midoriya joined Bakugou's squad, attempting to keep up with the relentless training and demands. Bakugou pushed him, motivated him, but with every step forward, Midoriya felt like he was sinking deeper into the role of burden, suffocating under the weight of his own insecurities.

Late one evening, as Midoiya collapsed on the training grounds, his body trembling with exhaustion, Bakugou's voice echoed through the darkness. "Deku, we need to talk. Now."

They found themselves alone, surrounded by the stillness of the night. Bakugou's eyes bore into Midoriya's , filled with a mixture of frustration and concern. He took a deep breath, his voice gentle yet resolute. "Deku, I can't stand seeing you like this. But you need to understand something. You are not a burden to me. You never have been."