Chapter 3 - Sleepful Artist

It has been a week since I began living with Revus. Living with him has been simple, yet brutal. My day starts off with Revus waking me to the smell of an already-cooked breakfast. Before I join him for breakfast, I go to the washroom to wash my face and use the toilet. Revus always makes sure I finish my plate, and then does all of the cleaning up himself.

After breakfast, Revus sits at the table with me and teaches me more about his language, which I have learned is called Zoic. Aside from learning the letters and numbers, he has also taught me some general words and objects within the house. Chiefly among these are what Revus and I are, and what everyone else is. Revus and I are known as fairies, while non-fairies are called enōōfen. Like in Svelta, it seems as though there are varied and unique kinds of people.

Thanks to his intense workload, I am learning around forty words every day. Our sessions start by reviewing the previous day's work, and then he dumps a new workload on me that utilizes the letters and words I have already learned.

The language can be difficult at times due to differences in sounds and pronunciations. That, combined with the amount of work, Revus' constant sighs, and his jabs at my forehead, makes the sessions torturous.

Thankfully, Revus only holds new lessons in the mornings, while the rest of the day is spent on other tasks or reviewing. He makes a light lunch when he finishes teaching me new words for the day. Once eaten, the dishes are again cleaned by Revus. By then, it is approximately midday, so we head outside so that I may practice flying. Over the past week, I have learned to manipulate my wings more naturally. With their new-found responsiveness, I have managed to increase the duration and speed at which I can flap them. However, even after practicing until I am exhausted, I am unable to stay airborne, let alone fly.

While I tire myself out trying to fly, Revus usually sits silently on the ground with his legs crossed. At first I thought he was sleeping, because he would not react to sight, but, if I made too much noise, he would open his eyes. I tried asking Revus about what he was doing, but, after he explained everything in Zoic, I gave up and decided to wait until we could communicate better before asking again.

My flying practice usually lasts for several hours, which I enjoy. Whenever I get tired, I find a nice spot in the sunlight, sit on the ground, and absorb the surroundings. I bask in the wondrous sights, fresh smells, and primal, yet serene sounds, all while feeling the warmth of the sun and the cool winds' breeze on my skin. Even though I have lived in this forest for almost a week, I feel like I could stay here forever and never get tired of it.

On some days, Revus will interrupt my flight practice and have me go back inside so he can prepare for an outing. While I wait, he will leave multiple times for anywhere from a few minutes, to almost an hour. His outings involve gathering food or other materials for daily life. He often returns with various meats, skins, or large fruits and vegetables, as well as flowers, stones, or wood.

During Revus' excursions, I stay inside and attempt to review my lessons from earlier that day, but I usually fail to stay focused. As I sit there alone, my mind wanders, and I start thinking about my situation. I asked Revus for some paper and have been using charcoal to write down my thoughts. With my overall lack of information, however, I have taken to writing down questions that I feel are important. Even though I know what to ask, our lack of proper communication prevents me from attaining answers. While brooding over my questions, I remain inside alone, awaiting Revus' return.

It is during these lonesome times that I noticed this weird feeling in my chest. This odd sensation directs me toward the flower chamber. Once inside, it intensifies, and my attention is forced onto the flower. While I stare at the flower, something about it calls out to me, causing me to approach it. Touching the flower gives me a sense of comfort that washes away my lonesome worries. The solace I find has been so great, that I even began sleeping with the petal that fell from it.