9| Past Scars

Paisley's POV

"What the fuck was that!" I whisper- shouted to Ethan as his cousin disappeared into the crowd after their intense stare contest.

"What the fuck was what?"

"You said I was your girlfriend?"

"Yes. Aand?" He asked casually

"Okay, Ethan!" I shouted and he dragged me to a quieter place.

"You can't just go around calling everyone your girlfriend Ethan. Incase nobody told you both parties have to be aware of the rela.."

"Well it's good you're not 'everyone' darling" He said with a smirk.

I let out an annoyed huff.
"Arguing with you is pointless."

"Why? Am I that ugly?" He asked with a pout

" I...well maybe. I donno"

"Liar. Come on I wanna take you somewhere."

I rolled my eyes and followed him out to the beach.

"Next time maybe give me a heads up? Something like Paisley I'm gonna introduce you as my girlfriend to my cousin please don't act surprised? I mean I looked like a total fool back there. All baffled and stuff? Why did you even tell him that? I re...."

"If I say I'm sorry will you shut up?"

He asked, coming to a halt suddenly and I shut my mouth.

It was so much quieter here and calm. Ethan removed his shoes and rolled up his jeans and I did the same, sitting down beside him, our legs in the water.

An awkward silence fell between us and my palms became sweaty.

I hated silence. Especially if it was a man around me. In a secluded place.

My breathing became laboured and I stood up...walking further into the water,  my eyes up in the sky trying to calm my breathing.

"Woah..look I really didn't mean to upset you. I just...I don't even know what came over me seeing him..."

"Ethan..."

"And I'm sorry I told you to shut up when.."

"Ethan it's..."

"No. I know it's not okay. That was a shitty thing to do. I'm sorry."

"Ethan it's not you." I said quietly.

"What..what do you mean?"
I sat back beside him and laid on the sand...looking at the moon.

"I..I've just been through a lot. Like a lot. Sometimes it just..feels so heavy inside. I..you know what never mind. We good."

I said changing my mind. I didn't have to tell him anything. We weren't friends.

He laid down beside me and let out a shaky breath.

"I did something real bad when I was fifteen."
He said slowly and I turned to face him,  supporting my head with my hand.

"How bad?"

"It cost somebody's life." He responded...closing his eyes.

"It haunts me daily...I can't even remember the last time I had a proper night sleep. " he continued.

"Yeah. Some things we do stick with us. Isn't it quite unfair that no matter how young you were while making those decisions you're forced to live with the consequences the rest of your life?" I replied, zoning out a little.

"I was drunk...not in the right state of mind. One stupid drunken night ruined everything. That night changed me.." He opened his eyes and looked at me..his face clouded with sadness.