PAGE 5: Stay in the theater

"You can go yourself," you tell Dustin. "But be careful. Any sign of trouble, scream 'Fire.'"

"Why?" Dustin says.

"Because it'll cause a ruckus!" you say. "And in the chaos, we can group together and sneak away from the soldiers trying to fucking murder us. Now, go!"

Dustin grumbles something about you being "much too bossy when you're stressed" and leaves.

Erica becomes enchanted by the movie, but you keep glancing over at your (very high) friends. You're worried about them. And, sure, maybe you are being a bit bossy. But you've learned never to let your guard down. You never know when's the last time you'll see somebody if they're not careful...

Your father was a firefighter killed on the job. You got into this horrible fight the day he died. You were angry at him for something stupid that you can't even remember now, and you never got the chance to make up.

His death sent you careening off the clear path he'd set for your future—graduation; college; a nice, functional adult life. That's why you needed to get out of town and go somewhere new. You wish that new place had been anywhere but Hawkins.

You hear loud giggles and see Steve and Robin sneak out of their seats and toward the exit.

"Seriously?" you grumble. "Erica, stay here and lay low. When Dustin gets back, meet us in the lobby."

Erica nods and waves you away, wanting to get back to the film. You follow Steve and Robin out to the drinking fountains.

"Uh, excuse me?" you say, once you're within earshot. "I'm pretty sure we told you to stay in your seats."

"Busted," Steve mumbles, before giggling and slurping down water like it's ichor from the Greek gods. Robin snickers.

"I'm serious," you say. "We're in real danger. Something bad could happen if you wander off!"

"Sorry!" Robin says. "But we're thirsty because of the popcorn, and the movie is confusing. I wasn't totally focused in there, but I'm pretty sure that mom was trying to bang her son."

Steve chokes on his water.

"Wait, wait," he says, "the hot chick was Alex P. Keaton's mom?"

"The actor's name is Michael J. Fox," you correct. "Alex is a character he plays."

"But Michael and his mom are the same age!" Steve continues.

"Marty McFly went back in time," you say patiently. "Now, can we get back to laying low?"

Robin shoves Steve aside so she can get some water, and he stumbles over to you. He beams, his soft smile a stark contrast to the bloodied skin around it. His grin makes your heart do a somersault in your ribcage.

"I missed you today," he says. His smile drops, mouth in a thin line, and speaks with an earnestness you aren't sure you deserve. "But I'm also really, really glad you weren't there."

"I wish you two hadn't been there either," you say. "I keep replaying it over and over in my head, trying to think of a way we could've all gotten away safely."

"Don't do that to yourself," Steve says. "We can't change it. We can only...whoa. Robin, you've gotta check this out!"

He wanders away, staring up at the mall's skylight.

"The ceiling," he adds. "It's beautiful."

"Oh, wow!" Robin says, starstruck by the sight.

You look between the skylight and your friends. It's just lights and glass—nothing major or special.