PAGE 31: Don't let her go

"We need to keep an eye on you," you tell Max. "That's easier if we stay put."

She opens her mouth to protest, and you say, "Listen to the adults, Max."

"Adults?!" she scoffs. She jabs an accusatory finger at you and Steve. "You two are barely legal!"

"We're 20!" Steve says with a scoff.

"Only five years older than me," Max says. "So barely authority figures."

"Let's just stay and watch a movie," Lucas says. "I think Holly has a VHS copy of 'The Last Unicorn.'"

Max isn't happy about it, but she returns to the basement. She sulks during the movie.

"I need to get water," she says, charging upstairs two at a time. Lucas stands to follow and Max says, "Don't follow me! I don't need a chaperone for the Brita."

While Dustin and Lucas watch the movie but pretend not to enjoy it, you notice Steve rubbing his eyes.

"You okay?" you ask quietly.

"This is bullshit," he mumbles.

"Vecna?" you ask, though you're pretty sure you already know the answer.

"Yeah," he says. "I thought all this was over after last summer. After the mall."

You shudder at the memories.

"Me too," you say. You pick at your fingernails. "Can I say something horrible?"

Steve frowns but nods.

"I'm really glad Vecna didn't curse me," you say in one big rush. You wince. "God, saying it out loud makes me sound so selfish. I feel so bad for Max, but—"

"Wait, hold on," Steve asks, turning to face you, forehead creased with concern. "You think you're a good candidate to be a Vecna victim?"

Without asking outright, he's asking if you feel as haunted as Max does by what happened last summer, as low as she does. As depressed.

You've always been cagey talking about your mental health. It makes you uncomfortable. You shrug, noncommittal, and turn to face the stairs. Max has been gone a while...

"I mean, yeah," you say, trying to keep your voice casual. "I feel pretty shitty about a lot of things, to be honest."

"If you ever start feeling, like, really down, you promise you'd tell me, right?" Steve says. "Because you can tell me anything. I want you to tell me anything."

You nod.

"Of course. And I hope the same goes for you, Mr. Harrington," you say. You gently poke his cheek with your finger. He gives you a miniscule smile, but it drops after he checks his watch.

"It's been too long," he says. "I'm going up there."

Thank God he does. He begins shouting and you, Lucas, and Dustin barrel up the steps to the kitchen.

Max is in a trance. Vecna is coming for her.

You all panic trying to wake her up. Dustin runs for the walkie-talkie and returns with a stack of tapes, saying Robin and Nancy advised you all play Max's favorite song.

Lucas knows it—Kate Bush, "Running Up That Hill." You put her Walkman around her head and press play. She begins to levitate in the freaking air, head bumping the ceiling of the Wheeler's kitchen, but the music saves her. She wakes up, shaken up but physically okay.

"I thought we lost you!" Lucas says with a sniffle.

"I'm here," Max says, breathless. "I'm right here."

Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler, who stepped out to do a little grocery shopping, are surprised to return home and see you all on the kitchen floor.

"Oh!" Mrs. Wheeler says. "Well, now that you're here, who wants to help chop vegetables for dinner?"

MAX IS SAVED...FOR NOW. GO TO PAGE 32 TO CONTINUE THE STORY.