PAGE 40: Waiting Room

When you wake in the hospital, the first person you ask about is Max.

"Her name is Max Mayfield," you tell the nurse adding a new bag of morphine to the IV hooked to your arm. You try to sit up and wince, pain shooting out from your stitched-up bullet wound. "She's 15, and she has red hair, and—"

"She's in surgery now," the nurse says patiently. "Now, please, you need to relax."

"I need to talk to Erica," you say, a bit delirious from whatever medicine she's giving you. "And Steve, I need to know if they're okay—I don't—"

"Please," the nurse says, sounding a bit more irritated now. "You were shot. You need to rest."

However, she kindly finds Steve for you in the waiting room and brings him in.

When you see him—leather jacket ripped, face dirty, eyes glassy and wide—you immediately burst into tears. You're relieved he's okay but terrified for Max.

Steve rushes over and wraps you in a hug, pressing a kiss to the crown of your head.

"I was so worried," he murmurs. "When we arrived at the Creel House and Erica told us what happened...God, I thought I'd lost you."

"You didn't lose me," you say with a sniffle.

"I almost did," Steve says. He pulls away and uses his thumb to brush the tears off your cheek. "How badly does it hurt? Are you feeling okay?"

"How is Erica?" you ask, ignoring his question. "And Max?"

"Sinclair's shaken up," Steve says, "but she was really, really brave. Mayfield, on the other hand..."

You begin to cry again and Steve rubs your back.

"It's my fault," you say, hiccuping through sobs. "I shouldn't have let Jason get me."

"Jason was unhinged," Steve says firmly. "You were trying to stop him. It's not your fault at all."

You aren't sure if you believe him, but you nod.

"Is Vecna dead?" you whisper.

Steve's jaw clenches. He shakes his head.

"But he will be," he says darkly. "I'll make sure of it."

Because of the steely determination in his eyes, you believe him. No matter what, you all will find a way to end this. Once and for all.

THE END...FOR NOW.

HEAD BACK TO PAGE 20 TO RESTART PART 2.

HEAD BACK TO PAGE 1 TO START FROM THE BEGINNING.