PAGE 53: Try and fight him

You aren't going down without a fight. You grab an umbrella and whack Vecna over the head with it. Surprised at the sudden contact, he stumbles back and scowls.

"Leave me alone!" you shout, glaring at him and brandishing the umbrella once more. Before you can hit him with it again, he sends it flying across the foyer and pins you up against the wall.

"This is the end for you," he says with a dark chuckle.

He lifts his clawed hand above your head and you try not to cry. Suddenly, a sound cuts through the dilapidated version of the Wheeler's house: the lyrics of your favorite song.

"Here's wishing you the bluest sky, and hoping something better comes tomorrow ..."

You whip your head to the right and see a pinprick of light, along with a floating piece of stained glass. You grab one of Vecna's squishy tentacles and yank, causing him to howl in pain. You use the distraction to run for your life toward the light source.

Memories of you with Steve and your friends motivates you to keep running, to keep dodging debris Vecna chucks at you with telekinesis.

The song continues: "... Accept your life and what it brings. I hope tomorrow you'll find better things. I know tomorrow you'll find better things!"

The closer you get to the light, the more you can see. Steve, Lucas, Max, and Dustin are shouting at you to wake up. You, on the other hand, are unconscious and floating in the air. That's right, floating in the air. You can't quite believe it. You can't believe any of this is happening.

You pump your legs until every muscle hurts, but it's worth it when you make it to the light and snap awake in the real world. You plummet to the ground and Steve catches you clumsily.

"Hey, I got you," he says, panting. "You're okay. You're okay!"

You can't say anything. All you can do is shake, wrap your arms around Steve's neck, and sob into his shoulder.

He rubs your back and lets you cry your heart out. He turns to Dustin and mumbles, "Get Robin on the walkie and tell her Waldenbooks is okay."

"Are they okay?" you hear Lucas whisper.

"I'm fine," you choke out through tears. "I'm here. I'm right here."

GO TO PAGE 55.