𝟎𝟎𝟐.

"a kill-switch?"

"a kill-switch?"

"a device." nebula started. "said to destruct if anyone goes poking around inside him or if anyone uses the med-packs."

cassandra looked up at nebula, who had a black wire connected to her, snaking down and connecting into rocket. her brows furrowed slightly. "why would rocket have a kill-switch?"

"apparently someone considers him important technology and sent that lunatic out to get him." nebula answered quickly, muttering hurriedly. cassandra felt like it would be stupid to ask her to repeat, she kind of heard her anyway.

mantis stepped forward. "so he'll die if we operate on him?"

"he will die if we don't, though." cassandra sighed.

"there has to be some way to bypass it."
"it looks like there's a pass key to over-ride the kill-switch." nebula replied, staring down at rocket with a particular expression that cassandra couldn't place.

"what do we know about where rocket came from?" mantis asked.

cassandra hummed thoughtfully, staring down at rocket. rocket, even in the years she spent with just him and nebula, didn't talk alot about where he came from. it seemed like he was just trying to get away from his past; as far as possible, so he would never have to look back. "not alot.. he doesn't talk about it."

"it was developed by a company called orgocorp, and there's a code, 89P13. he's got, maybe, fourty-eight hours."

cassandra gagged at just those words.   he's got maybe fourty-eight hours.
'maybe' didn't sound good.
'maybe' didn't sound promising.

peter immediately turned and started walking away from the group, and cassandra sighed and followed him, worried he was going to get in over his head with his grief and do something stupid. "where are you going?"

"orgocorp has records, right!? maybe they'll have a way to over-ride the kill switch and save rocket!"

"you're doing that thing you always do! where you do something without thinking, i mean, dad, you remember titan? 'cause i do!"

"don't bring up titan! that was a weak moment for me and you dont get to exploit that!" he turned to face her. cassandra wanted to laugh, amused at how defensive he got over the events on titan. "i'm going to be more careful this time!"

"like hell you are! what plan do you even have!?"

"i dont need a plan!" her dad argued back, though he knew his daughter well enough to know that arguing back with her wasn't going to do much. his argument was also stupid. this whole argument was stupid, because, unfortunately, they're father and daughter and they aren't as different as they think they are.

"what!? you need a plan– besides, they won't just give you that information!"

"that's why were gonna break in!"