𝟎𝟎𝟖.

cassandra realizes now that her dad has thrown them into yet another life-or-death battle against a being larger-than-life

(.. again.)

rocket let out a grunt through his bared teeth as he finally managed his boot on. "this could be futile, quill," rocket slowly pushed off the ledge. "he's too powerful."

"well then i guess we'll die trying." it was nice to know that once again peter is gambling the lives of his team– though, this time, cassandra understood that there's a purpose. not only were they up against a maniacal genius who wields a god complex like a sword, they were up against someone who had hurt their friend– their family.

cassandra still wasn't sure if that's enough to justify gambling your daughter and closest friends in life-or-death, but for rocket, or mantis, nebula, any of the guardians, cassandra could probably tear down empires and destroy galaxies.

cassandra followed her dad– who was walking with rough steps, like a man with a mission– down the hallway, gamora and rocket joining them. "what is dying trying gonna accomplish?"

"or we can just give him the badger?" gamora suggested, which none of them considered for more than a second. "our thing was already dying trying." cassandra shrugged.

"i am groot."
"i know who you are already!" gamora shouted back, which elicits an eyeroll from groot, and cassandra has no idea where he learned that move from.

"feel free to stay behind in the cargo area." cassandra is surprised when she can't detect any smugness in peter's voice. there isn't fear– just a lack of his usual dickhead-like smugness that he coaxes his usual remarks with until it makes you want to roll your eyes until they get stuck facing your brain.

gamora's shoulder sunk slightly. ".. i'm not leaving my sister with that jackass." she reached into her front pocket and pulled out a polaroid photo– which cassandra recognized. she handed it to peter. "this you? it fell out of your bag."

with that she walked away, and cassandra went up behind her dad and placed a hand on his shoulder. his gaze was lingering down at the photo, and cassandra looked over his shoulder. "what's that?" she asked, and peter handed it to her before walking towards the cockpit, leaving cassandra to let her focus linger on the photo of peter with his mother and grandfather. he's happy. he's smiling. it made her frown to look at.

cassandra stuffed the photo in her pocket before getting in the empty seat beside her dad. "can i control it independently or am i still too young for that?" cassandra chuckled to herself, glancing over at her dad, who reached forward and started the playlist. he glanced over at her, letting his gaze stay on her for a second before nodding.

"yeah, cass, you got this."

that response surprised cassandra– but she was eager to accept the invitation and get comfortable in her seat, which felt much larger than her, in a good way.