Chapter 98 - Raison D'etre

October 10th, 2026. 07:55. 

The sunrise reflects on the still remaining scattered metal from the mechs that raided the base last night, each scrap and cannon that were torn down or sliced apart are picked piece by piece or lay motionless, waiting to be picked up by the clean-up crews from the base. As for the inside of the base, a handful of medics carry some of the fallen ones through the carts they could find, delivering them to the morgue one by one, while some mechanics use any tool they can find at their disposal to fix any hole or fracture that is found in one of the walls. 

And the mood couldn't be any fitting when some of the medics can only wince at the sight of the ones they carry through the carts, some looking with puffy eyes, while the other soldiers and personnel present in the hallways either stare into the windows of the outside, while others cover their faces while faintly sobbing with only a handful of their comrades to accompany them as a source of comfort, others even argue with others about the turn of events, with suggestions of full-blown vengeance being a common one among the soldiers. 

For it can be another step to gain vengeance on all Zlocans, whether they ordered this strike or not. 

Logan is one of the few who walk on the hallways full of calls, machinery and anguish, sight full of repairers fixing whatever they can, his hands in his pocket as he walks on through the hallway, as some similar scenes repeat on some corners of the base, and while his posture remains firm, the chin can be seen trembling for a bit, even blinking his eyes for a bit as he paves way for another cart to pass through by the medics. 

It is not until he stops near a wall on his back that he just leans back as he lets out a sigh and looks down at the ground. His puffy eyes merely stare down as he breathes slowly each time he gets as if the matters at hand couldn't get any worse. 

So much of what I tried, yet so little of what I've accomplished. Why...?  So much of what could have the EWs and others could have tried, and even at the bare minimum, it doesn't feel enough with something like this. What else can they try to solve this? 

But just as Logan further clenches his fist, a peculiar grey hand taps on his shoulder, and despite how light it looks, it's enough to make Logan glance to his right. Amira is in sight, also looking with puffy eyes and a frown. 

"Logan, I do not think it would be the best time to be with the cold walls near you," Amira says as he touches Logan's shoulder. 

"I just don't feel in need of some company. If only because of the men we lost." 

"They still fought for what was worth, I am sure of it. You know it too." 

"Maybe, maybe... I'm not so sure..." Logan clenches his hands for a bit the more he thinks of what led to this, and what else can be done to stop it. 

"You should be. Even in times like this, a hero should never doubt what they can, right?" 

"Yeah but... I can't seem to convince myself of it, that maybe..." Logan tries to explain before shaking his head and sighing as well, even glancing away from Amira for a bit. That is until Amira holds Logan tight with his shoulder, something that makes him tremble for a bit. 

"I know it is hard for all of us, but sometimes, if we want to honor them like this, then the best course is to just keep on going. That would be correct, right?" Amira asks while also caressing Logan's face for a bit. He merely nods in response as Amira strokes his cheek lightly, which makes Logan slightly smile for a bit, to which he responds by holding Amira in return as well. 

"I really hope it is, for as everyone should know we can still try despite everything, Amira." But before they can try anything else, Logan's pocket vibrates for a bit, to which he pulls it out to see it's the phone. The screen shows one message with a handful of words that say: "Meeting at Room 50. Clemons in attendance.", sent by Jack as well. Logan merely sighs once more before turning to Amira.