18 - The Moon

Poem reading created and provided by roweterpsichore
https://youtu.be/HGb4mnnLmWU

The moon's love was as great as her mind
Though as eyed as the rest, she felt one of a kind
Once to hear
Oh so near
Her difference was obvious, yet not recognized

To turn from the spiral and leave her friend
Felt as if the world was to come to an end
Torn away
To her dismay
Her relation to her brother, the eye, was made to bend

After running across the school yard, having left Martyn to find the train and run on his own, Pearl took the bloody stake of wood out of the deceased Watcher and rounded to the front of the school. The screech had come from here, she was sure of it. It had to be another Watcher, but she didn't expect to see her brother having to fend one off from the kid behind him.

The bigger Watcher looked much more human than the now dead one from earlier. It's wrists dawned feathery bracelets, and 8 whole massive wings protruded from its back, 4 more smaller pairs against it's head. It went shirtless, exposing the many eyes it had around its stomach, but its lower half beheld a white and gold trimmed robe. A cloth with the Watcher symbol covered it's eyes, glowing purple to match with the magic it was using against the much smaller Watcher fighting it.

Speaking of the smaller Watcher, he was just barely holding himself up. He could only use the magic he had to put up shield after shield, each of which was broken from one hit of the towering Watcher's power. It was like watching an ant struggle to get up after it's been smushed once, and even though it eventually does recover, it's attacker is still prepared to smush it again.

"Grian!" Pearl called out, running as fast as she could to catch up and help. This ended up backfiring horrendously, as Grian turned his attention to his sister and lost his focus on his barrier, allowing the giant to not only destroy it again, but also hit Grian in the process, sending him flying to the side and scraping his skin and wings against the pavement.

Pearl barely had any time to try and help him before the giant began to swing down on the kid Grian was trying to protect. BigB, his best friend through all of his elementary school years, who he sat with at lunch and played with during recess. Most of the other kids bullied Grian and Pearl for their weird Watcher quirks, but BigB was the exact opposite of that. He was interested in learning anything he could about Watchers, and the siblings were more than happy to share those trivial little facts with him.

With those positive memories in mind, Pearl sprinted forward and put up a barrier of her own, creating a glass-like purple dome over their heads. The giant seemed to struggle crushing it, which made sense when Pearl's magic was stronger than Grian's.

"Go! Get out of here!" Pearl yelled, her voice struggling as she spent her energy holding up her magic.

"I can't!" BigB cried back. "My hand's stuck!"

Pearl turned back to see that his wrist was indeed in between the bars of the grate that covered up the sewer on the side of the pavement. Not only that, but she noticed a fair amount of blood coming from his ankle, so he probably couldn't walk either. She felt a crack forming in her shield, meaning she didn't have much time before it would finally give in.

"GRIAN!" She called again, this time meaning to get his attention. Her brother was still face down on the concrete, and he reacted slowly to the call as he tried to get up. A whole part of his arm was brush-burned, the bright pink of the scrape obvious against his pale skin. He didn't have time to get up and run back, even if he had the energy for it, and he had even less time to get B out of the way.