20 - (Part 2) To Remember a Living Friend

Tango shifted awake, already feeling the pain in his neck from the way he slept, surprisingly not overshadowed by the mild headache from his bound. Speaking of, he quickly heard the blonde's voice as he yawned.

"Mornin' sleepyhead," Jimmy said, never sounding more tired in his life. Tango chuckled.

"Good morning," Tango responded. "How're you feeling? Besides the pain,"

"Just a little tired," Jimmy said, "is this crick in the neck from you?"

"Yeah, sorry," Tango apologized, "I should've stayed at Bdubs and Impulse's for the night, but... I dunno, I was too worried about you when I woke up,"

He brought his eyes up to meet Jimmy's, and the blonde held a guilty look on his face.

"Tango, I'm so sorry, I got us hurt and almost killed over nothing," he said, his eyes flitting away as if looking at his bound would make him cry. Right on cue, Tango could just barely see a spike from an asphodel poke out from under Jimmy's sleeve, something Tango learned meant he was definitely not feeling like himself.

"Don't say that, if you didn't rush in there we wouldn't still have Norman," Tango said. "Zed's watching over him right now, and he's doing just fine. I know he's important to you,"

"He is, but... more important than you? Than us?" Jimmy asked.

"That shouldn't have to be something you need to answer," Tango said, "we're all family here, and as long as that means we're all important to each other, there shouldn't be a level of who's more important and who's not. Besides, I would be honored to sacrifice our lives for Norman,"

Jimmy reached over and pulled Tango into a hug, which the creature gladly returned. He would've even returned it tighter, but it was already causing both of them mild pain for Jimmy to lean over in the first place, so a soft embrace would do.

"Speaking of Norman," Tango continued, setting his bound back onto the bed, "Zed's letting us stay at the Ranch since they have an extra bedroom there. Said the bed was comfy too,"

"Thank goodness, I think my back's going to need that," Jimmy said, "you should get going now, I bet Norman misses his second favorite dad,"

Tango chuckled, leaning in to give Jimmy a quick peck before leaving, but the blonde caught him off guard by kissing him back. It lasted a while before they pulled away from each other, and both were quick to notice the lime blossom on the side of Jimmy's neck.

"I-it's... uhm... been a while," Jimmy stuttered, blushing furiously knowing exactly what the flower meant.

Tango smiled. "Maybe when you're not in a hospital bed,"

The two finally waved goodbye, and as Jimmy watched his bound leave, he carefully plucked the blossom from his neck.

You are the bane of me, he thought to himself. He felt another flower start to sprout from the back of his neck, and he merely expected it to be another blossom as he took it out as well.

The blonde's face filled with near-horror as his hand opened up to a bright red poppy.

"Ah, Tango! There you are," Zedaph greeted, his goat ear twitching as he heard his friend step inside. "Please tell me you got my text from earlier,"

The ranch house was much more spacious than Tango first thought it would be, the deep brown accents complimenting the lighter brown walls. The wooden floor in the living room creaked a bit with every step, a sharp but quick one emitting when Zedaph jumped up from his position on the leather couch. It'd been a few days since the fire, and, as was promised, Zedaph had been letting Tango stay with him and Doc at the Rally Ranch. Jimmy was still in the hospital, but by now it was only for precaution, and they were assured he'd be let out within the week.