Man's Best Friend

It was another day like any other.

We have just returned from the 2nd island exam, everyone looks unmotivated to go to class after that exhausting experience.

The door opens and Chabashira walks through.

"Hello everyone, I congratulate everyone on their success on the island exam, especially you Kouenji, as you attained first place."

Kouenji continues to look into his mirror.

"Though the school knows that all of you are tired from the exam, I have to announce a new special exam."

"What?! Are you serious?"

"We just got done with the island exam! Can't we have a break?!

The whole class starts to complaint, though they shouldn't be complaining so much, it's understandable. To receive another special exam after the 2nd island exam seems unfair.

"Settle down, this one isn't as extreme as the others, in fact, it's likely that you won't have to participate in this."

Everyone calms down a bit, now curious to hear the details.

"The new special exam is called 'Responsible Owner'"

Responsible owner?

From the looks of it, nobody else seems to understand.

"It's simple, one person from each class will go to their dorm after class and in there will be a pet that you are to be held responsible for."

Everyone seems confused still, but they start to catch on.

"I'm not sure who is the owner, you should all go to your dorms and see if you are the owner."

Owner? Owner of what? The instructions are very vague, but it sounds simply enough. I'm sure that the goal can be determined by going to our dorms.

After Chabashira's announcement, we return to our regular schedule.

Time goes by quickly, and everyone goes to their dorm.

"I do wonder though, what is it exactly that we're supposed to do with the pet?"

I guess I can assume that we have to take care of it and make it happy. Accounting for the name, "Responsible Owner".

I arrive at my room, I open the door and am met with a box with holes.

"So I was chosen huh? I was hoping that I wouldn't have been chosen."

I approach the box and open it.

*BARK BARK*

I am immediately jumped by a small furry animal.

"Oof."

*BARK BARK*

"... A puppy?"

My eyes meet with a puppy's eyes, seemingly analyzing me curiously.

It's about the size of my head, and it has a golden coat.

In the White Room, we were taught about dogs, but that fact that they were related to wolves and were domesticated by humans for the sole purpose of entertainment and being "Man's best friend" is the extent of my knowledge on dogs.

They didn't teach us about all the different breeds or how to care for one.

*BARK BARK*

Upon closer inspection, the dog is wearing a red collar, which has a name tag that simply reads, "Buck".

"Buck."

Pretty weird name, not to mention that it was written in English.

I text Horikita, telling her about how I received the pet.

Though before I hit send, I decided to take a picture of Buck, then I sent it to her.

After I'm done texting her, I notice that there is more in the box.

Inside, there is dog kibble, treats, a leash, and a bowl.

There was also clear plastic bags and some strange mat.

I feel a warm liquid soak into my shoes.

*BARK BARK*

... he peed on me.

This is gonna be a lot more troublesome than I thought.

A/N:

Sorry that I haven't updated this, I was mostly getting out chapters for my other book, "OutlawKoji", so far I have 4 chapters out with more to come.