Chapter 1

Im not a big fan of author's notes so this is probably the only one i'll put in....obviously if you have any comments please feel free and ill do my best to answer any questions.....

the girl on the cover is how i imagine Ilea>>>

I know the watty awards is a bit of a long shot but please vote if you like what i write =P

And I hope I haven't annoyed anyone by changing the title but i think 'awoken' suits this better...

thanks for taking the time to read this, hope you enjoy it as much as i did when i wrote it =)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm sure that we could get away with it if we actually tried."

"I'm not so sure, we could get in a lot of trouble if we're caught, especially if we're going to leave the city and go into the forest. It's borderline insanity."

"Then we will just have to not get caught."

"I'm still not sure, cutting and leaving the city, can't we just cut class instead? We've done that before."

"No, that defeats the whole point of it, we're not cutting class because we can, we're cutting class to do something that actually has some risks involved in it."

"I still don't know."

"Ilea, what do you think?"

I turned my head to look at Jacob, wondering what to say, I felt like taking both sides of the argument. It had been years since I had been outside the city and into the forest that surrounded it: The Elders had made it against the laws of Elmira for any citizen to stray beyond the boundaries of the city. It had been that way for eight years; half of my lifetime. I felt stifled by the huge oppressive walls that blocked the outside world. But even though I felt this way the cautious part of me was screaming not to take the risk, just in case we did get caught.

"Jacob, can you please tell me the answer to the question that I have just asked?" Sensia implored, glaring at Jacob from the in front of the boring, black chalk board. Jacob sighed and rolled his eyes at us.

"Osmosis is the movement of solvent molecules through a selectively-permeable membrane into a region of higher solute concentration, aiming to equalize the solute concentrations on the two sides. It may also be used to describe a physical process in which any solvent moves, without input of energy, across a semipermeable membrane separating two solutions of different concentrations. Osmosis releases energy, and can be made to do work, but is a passive process, like diffusion." Sensia stood there for a millisecond and then blushed.

"Well done Jacob, that was perhaps a bit more detail than we actually needed, but the main point was there" He smiled at her sarcastically and then turned back to us, "Does she really think that she'll catch one of us out or something? It makes me smile every time she blushes when she realises she's made a fool out of herself, again."

I gave him a warning look trying to hide, as always, how it also made me laugh. The three of us are intelligent. Not because we really try hard in school, we just seem to be able to hear things and then memorise them, to be honest wasn't hard for us to remember things that we'd done months ago, let alone something she'd tried to teach us last lesson.

"So, what do you think about Friday?"

"I'm not sure yet, I'm still weighing out the pros and cons." I replied, keeping my eyes down to the desk I was sitting at and pretending to read the ancient graffiti etched into the top. I realistically knew we probably shouldn't take the chance, knowing it was dangerous, but it was hard to stifle the part of me that really wanted to break out. I just wasn't sure. I knew that neither Jacob nor Johanna would do it without me; it had been that way for as long as I could remember. When the important decisions came around they had always followed me. I guess I was the ring leader when it came to taking chances.