Chapter 26

I walked through the huge oak doors feeling much more comfortable than earlier although my outfit caused almost everyone to stare; I was wearing a skin tight fitted top, slightly baggy trousers and my sword belted around my hips. I walked to Rowan in the room and slipped my arm around his waist smiling as he reciprocated. I felt his hot breath against my scalp as he whispered into my ear, “You look shockingly beautiful tonight.” I looked up into his eyes and was about to smile when I saw something odd in them, I didn’t get a chance to look closer as Orion coughed behind me.

I turned on my toe, feeling light and free now that I was out of the heavy dress I had been wearing all evening. I sauntered slowly into the centre of the room and drew my sword out of its sheath. I found many eyes in the room watching the blade warily and felt a smile slip onto my lips as I turned once in a circle and then glided into the first position.

I wound through the dance slowly to begin with so that my audience could see that even stance was correct, but then I moved faster and faster, until the point where the blade seemed to be moving of its own accord. I kept my breathing steady as I completed the Tingure the first time and then did it again; trying to concentrate on the flow of power that stemmed through the dance. When I came to do the start of my third run through, I lit up the end of my sword with a blue spark and dimmed down the lights so that my sword seemed to create a blue line as it whipped through the air like a deadly star.

Once I had finished the final stance I put the lights back up and slid the sword back into its sheath. The hair on the back of a few people’s necks stood on end and I smiled to myself as everyone in the room looked at me with new expressions on their faces; some simply looked impressed, whilst others looked at me with an approving expression, but a select few looked slightly afraid; as if I had just held the blade to their own necks.

Orion started to clap and it spread slowly through the crowd, I could feel the heat rise on my face but would not let the colour of my cheeks change. I nodded my head at Orion and went back to stand with Rowan and the others. The men started to talk about some fight or other and I was pulled to the side by Kaye. I felt at ease with this girl, although I did not understand why; she was very pretty and seemed relatively timid, but I supposed that was due to her upbringing in ‘higher society’ where women seemed to take a back seat compared to the men. I was unsure why I felt so comfortable talking to her, but I had not had any female company or conversation for, over a year. I delicately made my thoughts drift past the memories of Johanna, desperately needing to keep a confidant façade in my current situation.

“How can you dare to wear trousers?” She asked me in a voice which was incredulous but with the hint of mischievous laughter.

“It is practical; have you ever tried to swing a sword in a dress?” I smiled at her.

“I wouldn’t dare to even hold a sword; it’s not the place of a lady.” she suddenly blushed and tried to apologise.

“It is fine do not worry. I am not, nor have I ever been a lady and between you and I, I never intend to be one.”

“Why? Wouldn’t it be easier?” She asked me in earnest.

“Probably, but I have never been one to take the easy route, and it would not be what I wanted; I personally believe that there is no point striving something unless you desire it. I think it would take a lot of time and effort for me to become a ‘Lady’ and that it would be a lost cause from the start.”

“Why is that?”

“Because I would rather wear trousers and wield a sword like a man, than be cooped up in the castle, wearing a dress.” We both laughed.

“You are like some foreign creature; the way you think is so different to me.” I felt a warm arm wrap itself round my waist as Rowan stood behind me.

“She is a different creature, she's my Beautiful Creature.” I blushed and smiled at him as he brushed my lips with a feather light kiss. Kaye excused herself quickly but I saw her pink cheeks.

“I should go and apologise to her,” I said to Rowan, “I did not mean to make her feel uncomfortable.”

“She will be fine.” His smile set me at ease; maybe she was simply more sensitive to displays of affection more than other people were. “How about we escape from this little game of cat and mouse and go back to your room?” He whispered suggestively into my ear.

After saying our goodnights to Lord Rico, Kaye and Orion we left the huge ‘holding pen’ and walked slowly down the corridors to my room. The entire time my hand was in Rowan’s and he was rubbing small soothing circles into the back of my hand with his thumb. I kept seeing him looking at me out of the corner of his eye, but when I caught his gaze he would look away embarrassed.

I opened the doors into my rooms and once they were shut behind us Rowan took my hand and led me over to the seat by the window. The moonlight streamed through the clear glass and gently lit the room with its pearly glow. He tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear and left his hand resting against my cheek, staring deeply into my eyes. “You are so beautiful Ilea. I can barely put it into words.”

I felt a huge grin set onto my mouth and tried to stifle it a little; knowing I would look silly, but no matter how hard I tried I could not force my cheek muscles to relax. After a brief pause I felt his lips on mine again and revelled in the tenderness of the kiss. He made me feel like the normal human girl I still partly yearned to be, yet ultimately unique and precious to him, all at the same time. The way his eyes connected with my own made me feel as if I was flying.

“What are you thinking?” he asked me.

“I was thinking how happy you make me, and how much I have missed you.” His hand slid down to my neck and caused a small, not unpleasant, shiver to sweep down my spine.

“You don’t need to miss me now.” He smiled and kissed me again, soft gentle kisses that started at my mouth then slowly moved along my jawbone and down my neck, making the sensation from a few moments before flow continuously down my back. I felt a small sigh escape and the kisses became more intense as I pulled myself gradually towards him.

He lifted me off the seat and up into his arms then softly laid me down on the bed. We kissed a while longer and then slowly began to take of our clothes. I marvelled at how smooth his skin was on his chest in comparison to his rough hands and sighed again as those same hands ran over the skin on my shoulders and waist. He seemed to be trying to memorise every curve of my body but eventually desire got the best of us and we came closer together. I felt a mummer pass my parted lips as he pushed into me and I wrapped my arms quickly around his neck as we made love under the silken sheets.