Just The Three Of Us

~Baby Shay visits Bringston again.~

Simone smiled brightly as Shay played with the bear she got him. She was so happy to have her baby boy, well toddler now, this weekend. About a month ago, Shanelle and Tariq decided to celebrate their anniversary in the Florida Keys. They thought it would be a perfect opportunity for Simone to spend time with Shay, since she's in Atlanta. They coordinated with her schedule to figure out the best weekend. Before Simone knew it, the date had come.

She missed him so much over the summer. She was able to spend some time with him in May after the semester ended. It wasn't long enough because she had to come back to Atlanta for her internship. Fall semester of sophomore year had been much smoother than her first semester so she jumped at the chance to have Shay for the weekend.

Simone was a little worried Shay would be fussy again after not seeing her for a period of time. Those worries went away quickly when he excitedly walked over to her, hugging her legs. When she picked him up to give him a kiss, he said, "hi mama." She almost cried right there. She made sure to FaceTime him every week to interact with him but it wasn't the same as being able to hold him.

It's been a couple hours since Shanelle and Tariq left to continue their destination. Now that Shay was settled in, they could meet Damon to go to the aquarium. Grabbing his travel bag and placing him in the stroller, Simone made her way towards the dorm lounge. Her phone started vibrating so she stopped by the couches. Looking at her phone, she saw a text from Damon, who just finished his meeting.

Just as she was sending her response, she heard voices getting closer. Hearing her name, she saw Keisha and Nate walking over.  "Hey girl!" "Aww he's getting so big." "That's auntie's baby." They both cooed at Shay simultaneously. Shay peered at them giggling softly. Simone smiled and removed him from his stroller, sitting him in her lap. "Y'all about to leave?" Keisha and Nate both nodded their heads. Keisha played with Shay's foot. "I'm dropping Nate off at the train before I meet my dad." Nate checked the train schedule again before glancing at Simone and Keisha. "Don't get into too much trouble while I'm gone, y'all know I don't have reception at that cabin." Both Keisha and Simone rolled their eyes. "We'll be fine."

"Hey Nate, here's your flat iron. I meant to give it back to you earlier." They heard Thea say as she walked up to the couch. She looked over at Simone who was bouncing a toddler on her lap. Her eyes widened realizing it was Shay. She had never officially met him. Awkwardly, she lifted her hand to wave at the child. "Hi."

Simone was busy wiping Shay's cheek when she heard Thea's greeting. She had no ill feelings towards her, they just weren't friends. If anything, they were colleagues and that was enough for Simone. She turned Shay towards Thea to lift his small hand, "Say hi Shay." Shay briefly looked at Thea blankly and turned to lay his head on Simone's chest.

Simone kissed Shay's head softly and turned to Thea. "He doesn't always warm up to strangers." Keisha chuckled. "Children also know BS from a mile away. Maybe he knows you were one of his mama's biggest opps." Nate nearly choked while Simone guffawed. Nate pinched Keisha. Keisha snapped her head towards her. "What? Did I lie?" Thea's mouth dropped slightly in shock. She gave them a curt goodbye and walked back towards the rooms. Nate and Keisha grabbed their things to head out next. "We'll see you later boo." "Have fun!" They proceeded to the elevators after hugging Simone and Shay.

Simone was about to check her phone when Shay started bouncing excitedly. She smiled widely when she saw Damon walking over to them dressed in a blue polo, black jeans and blue Jordan's. He sat down next to them and leaned over to give Simone a sweet kiss. "Hey baby, sorry the meeting ran over." He held his hands out for Shay who was reaching for him. "Hey it's my favorite little guy. You ready for some fun?" Shay giggled and clapped his little hands. "D!" Standing up, Damon placed Shay on the table in front of them. "Let's do a drip check." Damon playfully looked over Shay's outfit. "We got red air forces, black jeans and a red polo. All you need now is a cuban link. I see your mama showing out today with her short yellow dress and strappy sandals." Simone watched the interaction with amusement, fluffed out her curls and struck a cute pose. "Mhmmm I try not to hurt 'em too badly."