Between Me and You

~Alternate ending of 2x14. What did Simone do after Lando confessed?~

About 20 minutes had passed since Lando left Simone's room. She wasn't sure what to think. His confession was pretty unexpected. She honestly couldn't respond so she was thankful that he left after to give her space. She had continued looking at pictures of the team and Coco Gauff but she couldn't concentrate anymore. Putting the laptop down, she laid back on her bed staring at the ceiling. She replayed the entire day in her head. She smiled to herself thinking about how amazing everything turned out. Maybe I should send Keena a basket or something ...Keena ...Damon...speaking of... As Lando was kissing her, Damon's face popped up in Simone's mind. After his confession, they hadn't really talked since she told him she wasn't ready for the conversation. Simone just felt like making small talk was a little ridiculous with this whole unmade decision looming over them both.

She sat up and grabbed her phone. It was only 6:30pm, he would be in his room around this time. Before Simone realized what she was doing, she left her room, walked down the hall to the boys' side and found herself in front of Damon's door. Instinctively she knocked. She glanced down at herself and realized she was still in her sports bra and sweat pants. Damn maybe I should've changed. Her thoughts were halted when the door opened to reveal a surprised Damon.

Wide-eyed, he opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. Tilting her head, Simone watched him questioningly. "Is this a bad time? You know what I can just see you later..." She had turned to leave but Damon grasped her wrist, his touch gentle yet firm. She peered up at him nervously. "Come in." His tone was serious but not in a commanding way. His eyes were filled with adoration. Simone swore her heart skipped a beat as she let him lead her inside. I've been in Damon's room about 100 times this is no different. Get a grip! She walked over and leaned against his desk. Facing his direction, she watched him close the door. She took in his clothes, green sweatshirt, matching shorts and white Air Forces. "I'm sorry about the game."

Damon stood against the door, still a bit surprised that she came to him. She was wearing a sports bra and sweats but it didn't look like she finished a workout. Remember don't push her for an answer; you don't want to scare her off. I wonder if she's ready to talk. Maybe it's about class? He was so caught up in his thoughts, he didn't hear what she said. Simone was starting to feel anxious. Damon just continued to gape at her intensely and he was still silent. She called his name a few times.

Startled, he shook his head. "I'm sorry what did you say?" Simone shifted to her left foot and repeated her sentiments about the game. Damon smiled slightly but it didn't reach his eyes. Walking away from the door, he jumped up to sit on his bed. "It's fine. Thank you though." Simone sat down on the chair next to his desk. She played with one of the post-it notes on his desk absentmindedly. "I know when you face a loss, you analyze every minute and action, replaying it back-to-back trying to figure out what you could have done differently. I wanted to make sure you weren't getting inside your own head."

Damon bit his lip and glanced over at her amusingly. "You know me too well." Simone smirked at him. "Mhmmm sure do. Seriously, don't forget you've had an amazing season. This is just the beginning. Don't let this loss make you lose sight of what you and the team have accomplished. It's only up from here. I'm sure Coach Marcus already told you something similar. We're all proud of you. You're not that same obnoxious, arrogant, self-centered guy I met two homecomings ago...well you're still annoyingly arrogant but it's inspiring." Damon threw his head back laughing. "You're also kind, sweet and strong...see I balanced it out." Simone stuck her tongue out playfully at him.

Damon turned to Simone, rubbing the back of his neck. "I'm glad you're here." Simone nibbled on her bottom lip slightly. "I'm glad to be here." It was quiet now and they held each other's gaze, neither one of them able to look away. Maybe the two of us alone, in this small room with all this tension, is playing with fire...