Behind that curtain

TW: suicide attempt

-You idiot! Jeongin ran to the center of the room and lifted Felix's body up. Somebody help me!

Chan barged into the room and widened his eyes at the scene unfolding before him.

-Don't just stand there! Cut the rope!

Chan took a penknife out of his pocket and cut the rope, letting all the weight on Jeongin's shoulder.

The younger dangled left and right before finding his balance and placing Felix on the bed.

The latter started coughing violently as Jeongin let out a relieved sigh.

-For God's sake, what were you trying to do?

-You told me to stop playing the game.

-I didn't mean you should commit suicide! What if I wasn't here to save you?

-Why were you?

-I had a bad dream about it... I don't know, okay? I just knew it.

-Still... There is no reason for me to live anymore.

-I will slap you.

-Jeongin, maybe you shouldn't yell at him, Chan tried to calm him.

-No! You can't give them them satisfaction! You can't die! You can't... he stopped to take a breath. Listen to me! I am trying to take care of you here. Because I was lost as well.

-He knows… Felix sobbed. He found the cross hidden in my room. He knows I stole it.

-Did you? Chan asked confused.

-Yes…

-Why?

-I can’t say it.

That night it was scheduled another show.

Thousands of people came to watch the new sensation of the Opera.

All of them were rich and excited, whispering left and right about every single detail of the decor.

Hyunjin and Chan were in the second row while Seungmin and Changbin were in the first one.

No trace of Felix.

Jeongin was behind the curtains, feeling a little dizzy.

-Hey! Can you delay it a bit?

-What? a performer asked genuinely dumbfounded.

-Delay the show a bit, please!

-Why?

-I have a deja vu.

The performer rolled his eyes and ignored Jeongin who managed to go down the stairs and reach Seungmin.

-What are you doing? You should he on the stage right now! Seungmin whispered panicked.

-We need to cancel tonight.

-What? Why?

-I've seen this before. The curtains make way for Jisung, but it's not Jisung up there.

-Are you out of your mind? We're not cancelling because you had a bad dream! Changbin spat back.

-I'm not going up.

-You-

-Hang on, Seungmin held Changbin back. He may he right. Remember what we've talked about?

Changbin sighed in defeat and sat down again.

The heavy red velvet curtains made way for Jisung who stepped closer and closer to the edge of the stage, making the spectators feeling a little uneasy.

-That's not Jisung, Hyunjin squirmed his eyes at the sight of a shadow behind him.

Chan realised immediately what was happening and nudged Seungmin.

-Stop the show!

-Why?

-That's not Jisung!

-Then who it is?

-I greet you all, mortals! You may be here to listen to this boy's angelic voice, but you shall listen when I tell you this: he is as good as dead. Angels have no place on Earth. He belongs to me.

-Minho! What the hell are you doing?

Felix appeared on the stage, not even bathing an eyes at the crowd staring at him.

-Did... did Jisung let you take over? How?

-To save you, of course. I explained everything to him and he accepted my terms. I think it's time that everyone knows my cruel fate.

-Don't... You'll ruin everything I did for you!

-I am doing this for you! It's my fault that you wanted to... That you wanted to kill yourself.

-You know?

-What? Changbin jumped off his chair in shock.

-I saw Jeongin rescuing you. I'll clear your name.

-Why? Because you don’t have another minion to serve your purpose?

-Because you were the only friend I made after I died… Minho admitted.

Felix’s expression softened as he started to understand how lonely must have been for the older. Being isolated all those years.

-I ordered him to steal the cross, he moved his attention towards Changbin. It was the only way to save you.

-Minho! You're scaring them all! Chan shouted.

-They are already terrified of me. They all think I am the criminal. Why can't I tell everybody my side of the story? How I died... How I've been forgotten. Hyunjin-ah... Did you have fun stealing from me? I thought we were friends.

-Hyung... Hyunjin froze in fear.

Suddenly the curtain fell back, blocking the view of the crown.

Minho looked to the left angered and spotted Jeongin.

-You... What are you? I've been trying to figure out. I could tell what everybody is. But you... what exactly are you?

Minho stepped closer to the trembling boy before Seungmin came between us.

-Don't touch him. He is more precious to us all than you think.

-You know what is he?

-I do. He's an oracle. Might be the last one alive. We can help you if you let us. I know my father is of fault for what happened to you, so I take responsibility. You can-

-You're wrong. He wasn't the only one. I seek revenge on someone else. The one that killed me. I need to find out what happened that day. And your little team will help me, he placed two fingers under Seungmin's chin to look him in the eyes.

-Only if you help us find the real killer.

-You've got yourself a deal with a ghost, Minho smirked.

-And...before letting go of Jisung's body, tell everyone this was a trick for the show.

-I can even put up a show for you, he laughed.

-Minho! You blew up everything we have built... Felix approached.

-I'm already dead. If I can't keep my only friend, then I will spend my eternity like a pathetic lonely soul.

-Why this sudden change of heart? I thought I am just a minion of yours.

-Because I don’t want you to join me yet. Death is too painful for someone like you. You're not ready to look behind that curtain yet.

Felix nodded and hugged him tightly.

The very first sincere hug from someone that accepted him completely as a ghost. As he is.

Minho wrapped his arms around him and smiled.

He can build it once again from the bottom. But he couldn't have brought back his friend if something happened.