Chapter five

Ellika was sat cross legged on a large bed in a room she had never been in before. The walls were a light grey, but the large paintings on the walls made up for the lack of colour. The bed was in the centre of the room, with a door on one side that led to an enormous wardrobe, and another that led to an ensuite. There was a small window seat with cushions on, and a desk tucked into the corner. The design appeared modern looking, but some of the furniture appeared to be ancient - possibly hundreds of years old.

"Are you actually bloody insane, love?"

Ellika winced slightly at his words, looking up at him in confusion. She had simply asked him, once they'd reached his room, if he didn't want her to be there anymore. If he didn't want her anymore.

"Sorry, love," he said, coming to sit beside her, "But do you really think I would've done all of this if I didn't want you here?"

Said like that, of course, Ellika's worries seemed silly. "I just figured maybe you'd moved on or something. I mean it has been a thousand years..."

She trailed off as she noticed him laughing.

"It's not funny! I was really worried," she retorted, but she too was smiling now.

Niklaus's eyes softened, and his hand cupped her cheek, his thumb brushing over her lips in an attempt to quiet her.

"No, little Ellie. I haven't, and never will, move on. Not from you. I give you my word."

There it was. That nickname Ellika had been waiting for. Little Ellie. Another habit from their childhood, this time a reference to her height as a child (and now really).

"I'm not little!" She laughed, as she always did, nudging him with her elbow. It was as though someone had flipped a switch, and they were just two teenagers in love again.

Nik moved his hand to the top of her head and measured it against his chest. She barely reached his shoulders. He raised an eyebrow at her, and said, "Are you sure, love? You look rather tiny to me."

Ellie hit him in the chest and turned her back to him playfully, refusing to acknowledge him as he made more comments about her height. Deciding to take matters into his own hands, the hybrid picked her up by the waist and set her down on the pillows, her back against the headboard.

He took her chin in his hand, brushing along her bottom lip with his finger, parting her lips slightly as the atmosphere seemed to shift from playful to something else.

"I love you, Ellie. I have loved you for a thousand years. And I absolutely, without a doubt, want you to stay with me."

She stared up at him for a moment, before replying, "I love you too, Nik."

With that confirmation, she leaned into him and he pressed his lips to hers.

The kiss felt like wildfire, the sensation it caused spreading across both of their bodies. It was passionate, and full of the words they didn't get a chance to say, the promises that were yet to be made, the secrets that were yet to be shared. They poured everything into it, all the love and fear and longing of a thousand years spent apart.

Niklaus's hands moved to her hair and their limbs tangled with each other as he lay Ellika down on the bed. He put his hands on either side of the bed, leaning over her, before finally breaking the kiss. He laughed lightly, the sound full of contentment, as she smiled up at him.

"I've missed you," he said for what felt like the thousandth time.

Ellika yawned slightly, and he fell into place next to her, his arms moving to incase her in an embrace, as she turned to face him and hid her face in his chest.