Chapter ten

The cold night air encased the forest in a chilling embrace. It was quiet, only the occasional sound of a bird's wings or a fox's steps breaking the heavy silence. The woods seemed to go on for miles, barring anyone who dared enter them from ever escaping once they were inside.

Or at least, that's how it felt to Ellika. 

As she was tied up and gagged in the back of a van, the only way she could tell she was in a forest was through the constant bumps in the road, and the sound of twigs snapping and leaves falling as the unknown vehicle drove through the trees. She tried to move every now and then, but found it difficult with her mind still hazy from the drug her kidnapper had given her. Throughout the whole journey, she could constantly feel sweat on her palms and her pulse in the back of her head. It was like her senses were warning her through her fear. Run, they seemed to whisper, run, go, while you still can.

The warning was useless, however, as she could barely stay awake, let alone attempt an escape mid-drive. She had thought being in the back of a car was scary, but being tossed around in the boot of a van was infinitely worse. 

As of now, all she could do was wait for her kidnapper to stop, then try to make a run for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Welcome to fight night!"

Marcel was stood on the balcony of the compound, addressing the cheering crowd below. It was packed with nightwalkers, all excited to try and earn themselves a daylight ring. Josh was wondering around, looking lost, and Marcel looked at him for a second, remembering what he had witnessed earlier that night. He had already decided what to do; he was going to have Davina wipe his mind of Klaus's compulsion. That could wait, however, as fight night was a tradition, and one thing he wasn't going to do was let those pesky originals interfere with the traditions in his city.

Marcel dismissed his bitter train of thought, and continued to address the nightwalkers, "The first rule of fight night is the vampire left standing at the end of the night is one step closer to the inner circle, and one of these," he wiggled his finger, displaying his daylight ring to the rowdy vampire, "If you can impress me with a little ultra-violence, you too can enjoy the warmth of the sun on your face. All you gotta do is kick a little ass."

"Here we go!" The vampire shouted, and the crowd moved back to from a circle. Two nightwalkers - a girl and a boy - stepped into the circle. Marcel announced the contenders' names, and they received cheers as they readied themselves to fight.

The man hit first; a brutal punch to the face. He was strong, but also slow. So slow, in fact, that he didn't have time to dodge when the woman ducked and landed a harsh punch to his stomach, followed by a kick in the knees. He grunted out in pain, getting up from where he had stumbled, but she was there too soon, elbowing him the face twice before finishing by grabbing him and slamming him against the ground, and snapping his neck.

Marcel was impressed, cheering along with the crowd. "Damn, girl!" he said, "Not bad!"

The crowd cheered once more, but then all of a sudden the sound of a neck snapping was heard and everyone fell silent. Stood behind the now 'dead' vampire, was Klaus Mikaelson, his usual smirk gracing his face and a glimmer of rage in his eyes.

"Good evening," he announced loudly, although it was clear he was talking just to Marcel, "I'd like a word."

"What do you think you're doing?" Marcel asked threateningly, but was replied not by Klaus but by Elijah, who was now making his way through the crowd with his usual calm demeanour.