Chapter fifteen

Klaus Mikaelson had called a meeting in his home, and day-walkers were swarming the compound

"Hey, Marcel," one of the vampires called when the hybrid still hadn't shown up, "Maybe you know what's going on. Klaus wanted us to meet here and now he's a no-show."

"What do you want from me?" Marcel complained, sounding defeated, "Its the new regime. Get used to it."

Marcel had spent a lot of time 'moping around' as Klaus phrased it, since Davina's death. It was safe to say that, by the way things were going, the vampire would never be the same without her.

"Dearest brethren, your attention please," Klaus himself spoke as he finally arrived, addressing the room of vampires. 

Ellika, who had been walking down the stairs, paused as she noticed the gathering of vampires She was unsure if she should stay, but Klaus gestured with his head and she continued walking, going over to him and holding his hand while he delivered his speech.

"I'm sure your all surprised to see," Klaus began as a vampire walked out from behind him, "Thierry Vanture, who is supposed to be rotting in the garden for the crime of killing one of our own. But, I personally decided to issue him with a pardon. I hope you'll all welcome home Thierry." 

At his words, applause and cheers echoed through the room, along with words of, "Welcome back," from many of the vampires. Marcel, however, did not share the happy mood. 

"You're in a good mood," he remarked, referring to the hybrid's show of mercy.

The hybrid ignored him, however, and continued talking to the room, "Now, as you all know, the witch Davina is no longer with us. Without Davina, we can no longer monitor the activity of our witch neighbours. However, since their harvest failed, their magic will soon be gone forever." 

His words were met with triumphant smirks from the crowd before him. "Until then," he went on, "I say we keep them on their toes. Diego," he addressed the vampire nearest him, "I wonder if you might lead a rousting in the cauldron."

Once again cheers sounded through the compound, and once again Marcel didn't join in.

"Marcel," called the original, "Why don't you join Diego?"

"Nah," the younger vampire said, "I'm gonna take a personal day."

He then stormed out of the room, ignoring the confused looks from the day-walkers who watched him leave.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upstairs, Marcel lounged on a sofa, a drink in his hand as he stared blankly out the window. The quarter was quieter than usual, but something sinister was in the air, he was sure of it.

"Is this what it's come to?" Came a voice from behind him, and he turned around to see Niklaus standing in the entrance of the room, sighing with annoyance. "I bare the full weight of our kingdom while you pout like a child?"